Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Sprints 2002

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrell Brown of Trinidad has won the World Junior Champs 100m in Kingston in 10.09, into a 0.6 headwind. His teammate Marc Burns ran 10.18 for second having also run 10.18 in the semis. Brown had a 10.17 qf as well.

That's a world age 17 best, beating MLF's 10.10 from a couple of years ago. Brown doesn't turn 18 until October. Last year he ran 10.24, a world age 16 best, and ran in the relay for Trinidad at the WC. This man/boy is some talent, he really is.

Note for us older track fans - he's the first man born AFTER Carl Lewis won his 4 Golds in LA to break 10.20. Carl Lewis is to Darrel Brown what Jim Hines was to me (I was born in 1969).

Willie Hordge of the USA was 3rd in 10.36. And after all I've said about UK sprinting, we didn't have an entrant in the 100m.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was at the LA games ... Crying or Very sad

Those Carribean kids are something else ... Of course there are stories galore about youngsters who peked before reaching adult hood ... But from everythign I've heard these guys are as good as they come AND are no where near physical maturity !!! If that is correct no telling what they may be capable of ... I also hear that the kid that ran the fastest heat in the 200 yesterday (Usain Bolt) 20.58, shut it down midway through the stretch !!!
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's involved in coaching these kids from the Carribean countries, or are they all leaving their respective countries for somewhere else??

Paul
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ato Boldon famously left Trinidad for LA but I doubt Darrel Brown has left home - he's only 17.

He ran the last leg of T&T's 4x100m last year and he is a BIG lad. Still looked a little puppy-fattish but he was only 16 then - when he's grown we're talking Herschel Walker - anyone remember him?

Justin
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the Jamaicans leave as kids and grow up in the states ... Jerome Young and Ato Boldon are the first two thta come to mind ... Ato grew up in the San Jose area .. I watched him compete in HS ... There are some who are saying these kids shouldn't come to the states as they feel that may actually impede their progress .. For every Ato you have a lot that have fallen by the way side ... Crying or Very sad

Darrell Brown sounds like a Hershel Walker / Bo Jackson type ... I'll have ot look at my Worlds tape later when I get home !!! Walker was a big football player here in the States ... University of Georgia ... USFL then to the Dallas Cowboys of the NFL in one of the biggest moves in history .. About 6'2, 235 ... Filled the lane on the track ... And his forte was the first part of the race NOT the finish !!!!
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 200m at the WJ, the two US athletes are Wes Felix and Rubin Williams.

Also running is Brendan Christian, born 11 Dec 83, listed as running for "ANT" - Antigua? Antilles? I assume this is the same Brendan Christian, born 11 Dec 83, who ran 10.15w and 9.9w this year?

If so, what is his nationality, since he's not wholly American.

If not, are there two lads born the same day with the same name?

Justin
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh ... Brendan Christian ... He is born and bread American ... The same Texas kid who was the sprint leader in the US ... He only took second in that WJ final behind Brown and company ... Apparently his father is from Antilles and so he has dual citizenship and has chosen (at least for now) to represent them ... I'm not real happy about that personally, but what can you do ??? Marion Jones hasa been in the same postion, her mother is from Antigua I believe, but she of course chose to run for the US ... Same for Inger Miller (her father being Jamaican) ... If Christian goes this route he will be hte second high profile track athlete to do so recently as Felix Sanchez was born and raised here but is competing for the Dominican Republic .. I hope this is not a trend ...

Conway

Last edited by Conway on Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrell Brown, huh? Any relation to another speedster, Darrell Green? Wink

Seriously, that sounds like quite the talent! Looks like Trinidad has supplanted Jamaica for this year at least as the Carribbean junior sprint power. I recall reading maybe 2 years ago that Boldon was putting money into building a stadium back home. Sounded like he's a huge hero there and had quite the influence on the kids. I wonder if we're starting to see the fruits of that labor? If so, don't be surprised to see rumors of Brown going to UCLA in a year, even if John Smith isn't coaching there anymore...

Quote:
then to the Dallas Cowboys of the NFL in one of the biggest moves in history ..

And then to Minnesota in a move that may have been even bigger ... building Dallas' Superbowl teams through something like 12 players and 8 draft picks.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have gotten so strange in the Olympics, these days, I wonder if we would ever come to the situation where an athlete with dual citizenship represents one nation in the open events, and another nation in the relays. I know it sounds implausible but considering things that were unheard of 2 decades ago...

Thoughts, anyone??

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the IOC would ever allow that, not to mention the respective nations' committees. It wasn't that long ago Kipketer got left in the cold over choosing which country to represent...

We'll see non-national representation long before multi-nation, and I fear the former is also a pipe dream.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Worlds should be the one to lead the way in the individualized competition category ... As well as abolishing the 3 from every country rule ... Worlds should be about the best of the best in competition against one another ... the Olympics for fulfilling the ideal of brotherhood and nations coming together ... Until the Worlds does something different it will play second fiddle to the Olympics !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: