Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
400m time prediction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: 400m time prediction Reply with quote

I soon will be running my debut in the 400m. I usually run the 100m and 200m and i am capable of 11.23 and 22.27. I was wondering if some one could give a predicted time for my 400m race and some training tips it would be much appreciated.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the performance calculators, if you haven't already:

http://run-down.com/statistics/calc.php

The Purdy points generally yield the most accurate conversions, especially for shorter distances. Your 100m and 200m times would predict 51.70 and 50.13, respectively (not surprising, since you 200m time looks a fair amount stronger than your 100m). Splitting the difference, 51-flat is quite realistic. Tossing performance predictors aside, I would guess you could run sub-50 without too much trouble.

What sort of training do you currently do?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan in that I am curious as to the training you do ... Your 200 time is much better than your 100 time ... Based on sprinters I've seen in that 200 range I would say 49.x should be possible ... And depending on the kind of training you've been doing maybe some better ...
Jerg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually do intervals of 150m and some times all they way up to 300m with some weight lifting. I am a horrible starter in the 100m so that is why my time suffers.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible starter ??? Now I have another couple of questions - height and weight ??? Seems like you train to sustain speed ... Do you do anything to improve speed ?? And where are you ??? (curious as to the weather and climate that you are training in) ..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6"2, 177 LBS and I live in Ontario Canada very cold winters and fairly warm summers. I dont belong to a track club so i have had to find track work outs on my own.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tall and moderately lanky, that makes more sense. I assume you haven't had much technical coaching on starts? A tendency is for people to move away from that which they're not good at, but I prefer to look at is an opportunity. Think of it this way, you know you have a lot of room for improvement just by better technique! Smile

Your training definitely seems geared toward 200/400, so you shouldn't have much difficulty transitioning to the longer event and maintaining speed pretty well. I'm definitely leaning toward mid to low-49.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are set up to be a long sprinter to me ... Nice size .. and your training has started that way ... Important will be things like stride pattern and frequency as well as strength development ... On your frame I would imagine that you haven't done much strength work (weight lifting) and that (without adding too much bulk) will be very beneficial ... One other question I have is age as it would give me some indication of natural physical development to this point ...
Jerg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am 17 years old
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have much room for physical devlopment ... That is good ... Just from where you are at this pint in time I would think you could run high 48 to low 49 in the 400 ... With some work and physical maturing who knows ??? Btu the potential is definitley there ...
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can run 22.27 then you can run under 50.00 with just a little experience at pacing it right - those first few races are going to hurt though!

Your 100m time could be much nearer 11.00 with just basic starting - it's an easy skill to learn to do, although hard to master. Aim to be a 10.9/21.9/49.9 runner - a neat set of bests which will mark you down as a very speedy member of society indeed.

Good luck.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: