Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Suggestions for running...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

First of all sorry for the lame topic, I kinda locked up when I arrived at that point.. My question is, what is the best way to build up endurance for long distance running? I currently run a mile and a half three times a week, but I'm not happy with the time it takes, and I want to build up to running longer distances. I have the motivation to work out, but I really don't know what I should be doing that is actually acomplishing something.

I've also just been recently stationed here in the Californian desert. Being from the east coast I'm vastly unprepared for the climate. I try to run in the early evening when it's cooler and the sun isn't baking my skull. Are there any precautions or tips I should know about? Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
China Lake CA

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Brian']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I'm not happy with the time it takes
Could you expand on this? Do you mean you're not happy with how long it takes to get a workout in, or you're unhappy with the resulting times you can run based on your training?

Another question, what distance is it you'd like to be training for? Not everyone has the same definition of long distance running (5k or ultramarathon, for example), so it's important to make sure we're talking the same language.

Whatever the distance is you'd like to get in shape for, your current mileage and regularity is not nearly enough. Three days a week is considered a minimum maintenance level, rarely enough to see improvement. On top of that, your daily mileage ought to be roughly that of the distance you are training for (I stress roughly; 10k'ers will average more than 6 miles a day and most marathoners under 26), so 1.5 miles will leave you short for most distances.

If you're looking to avoid the heat, try running in the morning. The air should be more conducive to that then.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Dan. I'm not happy with the time it takes me to run the mile and a half. I've lost 30 seconds in the last six months from lack of training, and now it seems I just can't get back to the point I was at before.

As for the distance to train for, I'm not really sure. Running the mile and a half in boot camp was my first introduction to running, and that is the Navy standard that they test us on. I would like to run longer distances as I have found I enjoy running, but I really don't know how to train properly for it. Thanks again for your help

Brian

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Brian']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you followed the same formula that got you to where you were six months ago? For that matter, what was your previous training approach? Any time you've had success in the past, it's not a bad idea to try and draw upon that system.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Baking your brain Reply with quote

Dear Brian: Generally, the early mornings, before dawn, on the desert, are nice and cool - great for distance training. The evenings may be cool too, but you often have heat pouring off the sand.

As you know by now, 1 1/2 miles three times a week, really isn't enough to develop a high level of endurance.

I've found the the least painful way of progressing, is to set short term goals. For example, a first goal might be to jog 3 miles, 3 times a week. Do this by extending your sessions about 1/4 lap a week.

Once you've reached the 3 mile goal, you will have achieved a major break through, and from this point on, jogging/ running will become more fun and easier.

A second goal might be to work up to 4 miles for every-other training session.

A third goal might be to gradually work up to 5 days a week of training, still alternating 3 mile days and 4 miles days.

Once you reach this third goal, you will probably be hooked. This would be a good time to start entering 5K (3.1 mile) fun runs.

When you are able to train for 7 miles once a week (7 miles / 3 / 0 / 4 / 3 / 4 / 0, you will be ready to begin entering some community 10K (6.2 mile) races.

If you have any questions concerning pain-free, injury-free distance training or racing, please feel free to contact me through my website. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
PoseRunner
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Build Endurance Reply with quote

Dan has a good idea about things. But your biggest problem could be your running technique. Proper technique can take minutes off of PR's. I personally know many runners with results such as this. Find out more about perfect technique at [url]RunningPerfect.com[/url]!
________
PSR-185

Last edited by PoseRunner on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see:

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=804

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: