FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Fire fighter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby_
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from the U.K. and i am at college studing a public service course. I want to be a fire fighter eventually, but I want to really improve my fitness before i do. Any tips would really be useful to me.
Thanks
Rob
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you at currently fitness-wise?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Fire Fighter Fitness Reply with quote

When I was running a chain of fitness centers in Houston, Texas, I used to get a steady stream of young women coming in (on the sly) who wanted me to help them prepare for the Fire Figher's Physical Exam.

The program was simple: sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups, half-squats (without weight), and jogging a minimum of 30 minutes four or five times a week.

Women had a particular problem with chins, so I had them begin climbing up on a box, and lowering themselves under controlled muscle power.

Soon they were able to do a single "real" chin, then several with a short pause between. Eventually they were able to do sets of 8 to fifteen.

With push-ups, I had them begin with press-aways agains a wall, then push-ups with the hands on to chairs (lowering the body between the chairs). Finally all were able to perform regular (flat-backed) push-ups with hands on the floor. Some were even able to do them with feet elevated.

For the jogging, I had them begin with jogging/walking, and progress from there. Mike (Mad Dog) www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a machine 10+ years ago called a Gravitron that was similar to what you're describing. It could be used for dips or pullups and would assist you (with an automated platform) to whatever degree you wanted. I found that to be quite useful for adapting my body to dips. Before using that, I'm not sure I could even do 8 dips (I couldn't do a single one the first time I tried them!). Before long, I was regularly doing 20, and I eventually got up over 40.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Help with Chins and Dips Reply with quote

Dan: That sounds like an interesting machine.

As of this very moment, Weider makes a (not too expensive) multi-station weight-training machine that has a station for assisted push-ups and dips.

Other machines, by other manufacturers, often have a knee-up / dipping station situated above the "stepper."

In this case, you can sometimes use the stepper to assist you with dips.

If you have any questions concerning the use of weight training as a part of your running training, please feel free to contact me through my website. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher at my school was crazy about dips for some reason, always boasting that no-one could beat him - he could do around 40, so maybe Dan could beat him? Anyway, some guy started training to do them, and the way he did it does not require some expensive machine. He says just go to your kitchen work-surface where it forms a right-angle and use that. It works surprisingly well!
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Chairs Reply with quote

You can also get a little practice by dipping between two chairs. To make it more difficult, elevate your feet on another chair.

While the above is a super exercise, it certainly isn't the same as dipping between two, high, parallel bars - especially if you dip down into a full stretch. Mad Dog Mike (the ex-dipping king) www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a decent exercise by using corner counters or other similar stuff, but balance is generally an issue...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: