FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
school 1500m

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: school 1500m Reply with quote

Its school sports day time again! When I was training for it last year I never got better than 5:04, despite doing a lot of interval training and generally taking it very seriously. This year, I haven't been training anywhere near as much, often not doing anything, or doing a really easy slow run. I went to the track a week or so before this sports day and found that my times were almost exactly the same as last year.
Therefore I was very surprised and happy to win the 1500 in 4:49 last week! Whats going on? I have not trained properly at all, and managed to knock 15 seconds off my time. Isn't it odd to improve so much all of a sudden? Last year when I trained loads and took it very seriously I just couldnt get better, and now it just "happens". That was the first race I've won!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Two possible explanations:

1) Your body has matured significantly over the past year, allowing you to do much better with less work.

2) You were not well enough rested headed into the 1500m last year, so even though you were in better shape, the heavier training load left you too tired to perform up to your capabilities.

A third explanation, not quite as solid as the first two, is muscle memory. After having gotten into good shape, it's easier to get back there subsequently. That usually pertains to a longer training cycle and shorter layoff, though.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Rest! Reply with quote

Dan, I vote for your number two, and to a lesser extent, your number 1 Smile !

So many runners seem so proud that they haven't missed a day of running (even when they have the flu or something), in "X" number of years Confused .

Training takes dedication, hard work, well thought out training, sure. But it also takes plenty of rest to give the body a chance to respond to the training.

I personally believe in days off...not all runners and coaches do. But it certainly is necessary to at least to cut back from time to time to avoid exhaustion and burnout.

Even when you don't feel tired, it is still sometimes necessary to give your body a chance to recuperate. Mad Dog Mike (who loves his rest Very Happy ) www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also someone who finds regular rest necessary, both mentally and physically. I always broke down after 3-5 weeks of trying to run every day...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest is essential for any training program no matter what method is being used. I would imagine that Anselm's recent improvement is do to equal parts maturing and a lack of rest previously. Although with high school athletes especially boys that are going through a growth spurt, they can work thier tails off to get better and nothing. Then when they finally quit growing rapidly they will go through a running spurt where their times show great improvement with no significant change in training.
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had a growth spurt though, I'm practically the same size now that I was when I first started running two years ago. I see that you do need to rest, and normally take about 1 day a week off. Training for this though, I often took about 3 or 4 days off, and when I did train, it wasnt intense training, more of a leisurely jog.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then your guess is as good as mine. Confused

It could be nutrition, miss timing your training last year or we could simply be looking at a miracle.
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a miracle
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In conjunction with Dan's reason number 2, I am opting for reason number 3, although I don't quite like the term "muscle memory". Here is my reasoning: lets say Anselm trained quite hard last year and was overtrained for the race. He is capable of 4:45 but runs 5:04. This year he is undertrained but comes in with a 4:49. Many runners complain about being overtrained for their races. Rodgers has stated that very few runners wished they had put in more mileage, but many have said they wished they would have put in a little bit less or rested at key points. In my own training (not running related, as pretty much everyone has figured out by now) I have always been amazed at what a high level of meet shape you can maintain with minimal training. And how tough it is to improve on your personal bests no matter how hard you train. Dan, remember back a couple of weeks ago when you went out for those 200m intervals and how you had surprised yourself??

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dan, remember back a couple of weeks ago when you went out for those 200m intervals and how you had surprised yourself??

Actually, no... I've done a lot of 200's over the years. Could you refresh my memory?

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I couldn't find it right off hand. I just assumed you catalogued all 7084 posts that have been made so far!! Wink Wink
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: