Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Running Hills

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Running Hills Reply with quote

In a XC or Roadd Race Hill running can make or Break a performance. What is the best way to run Hills??

I know of 3 successful stratagies: 1. Increase pace from the bottom of the hill ( get the hill over with and move on) 2. Keep the same effor throughout the hill (this of course causes the runner to slow down) and 3. Keep a steady pace for the 1st 75% of the hill and then excellerate at the top.

I Prefer using the 3rd strategy. How about the rest of You?
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Over the top Reply with quote

I'd vote for number three.

Take it easy going up: you will lose hardly any time, but save a great deal of energy.

Explode over the top and go like h*ll on the downside (just don't fall). Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all really depends on the satge you're in during the race. If you're trying to finish the race and run a good time regaurdless of place go for steady effort all the way up. If you're raceing someone or a group of people, and you don't know how strong they are or if you're not confident in your oen hill running strength then go for steady for the first 75% and pick it up near the top. If you're racing someone and you are a strong hill runner or you feel that you can break them the surge hard throughout the hill and it will often break there spirit.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DG -- play to your strengths. For some people, that means conserving energy on hills. For others, it means hammering the hills and putting a good gap on the pursuit pack. Off the track, and especially so on trails, there's a lot to be said for breaking contact, i.e. running away and hiding.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Psych them out! Reply with quote

Dear DG: Right on. if you can psych them out, you've got 'um licked.

I can remember trying to slowly pass people in the marathon, but it was impossible, because they could pick up their own pace ever so slightly, and keep me from passing.

What I learned to do was move up to about five feet behind them, turn on the "after burners," blow by, then immediately come back to pace.

Going by them that fast, really sunk their spirits: not only couldn't they come after me, but they often slowed down.

My brother and I have done the same sort of thing in wooded trail races. Instead of stopping at a rest area, I would run right through, as if I weren't in pain or even tired.

As soon as I got out of sight, I'd stop, and Marc would give me something cold to drink. Meanwhile, some of the other runners, back in the rest area would be so intimidated they'd quit, or at least spend too much time pumping themselves back up. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "dirty" mind trick is to be really polite as you pass someone. Tell them "Hey great job!" or even better "Hang in there, you can do it!" say it in as much of an upbeat manner as possible that really will take the wind out of their sails.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or combine some friendly chatter with strategic trash talking for the ultimate disheartening potion. "Hey, you're doing awesome. Only 24 miles to go! Seeya."

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this kind of "smack" talk I better just put my sights on next years 1K in Boulder.

"Bringing it All Back Home" Paul Wink
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Pumping Iron Reply with quote

I guess you all studied "Pumping Iron," where Arnold trashed poor Lou's mind and wiped his ego slate clean. Poor Lou didn't have a chance.
Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: