Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Converting up.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a college athlete who has been progressively moving up in distance since high school. A started out as a 100, 200 meter runner with times of 12.2 and 26.0 respectively and now run the 800 and am beginning the 1500 going into my last outdoor season. (400-58.5, 800 2:13, indoor mile 5:01) We are in the process of a short base period between our indoor and outdoor seasons where I am trying to hit around 45-50 miles a week. With this being my last college season I was wondering if this was to high (during the indoor season I hit between 40-43 a week). I was also wondering what how I could continue competing after college our if I will be limited to road racing.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Cari']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cari,

I have a hard time giving specific mileage advice -- especially without knowing the person -- based on event alone. Mileage is a funny thing; very particular to the individual. Often, a person can get the exact same results from high mileage or low mileage, but two different people may respond very differently to the extremes. The key is how you feel running in the high 40's a week. If you can handle the mileage without sacrificing the necessary quality, then it's probably a good level.

It's a short season, though. If you feel the mileage is too high right now, trying to maintain it won't give your legs enough time to adapt and still do the fast stuff by season's end.

There are lots of opportunities to keep competing after college, you just have to be more motivated. Many college meets are open to non-collegiate runners, as are road races and some cross country meets. Also, most areas have running clubs that can help keep the daily structure you get accustomed to during high school and college.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: