Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
How much mileage should I be doing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am currently running for a college in savannah Ga and am at a bit of a loss. I can't seem to find an appropriate level to keep my mileage at. I have completed about 8weeks of 100miles and have been into speedwork for about a month. I have been trying to keep my mileage up at around 80miles aweek as I realize that the season is long and I don't want to fizzle out before nationals. However my speed sessions seem to be to inconsistant. One week I run really well but the next I can run really badly. for example I had a session of 6x800m last week and only averaged 2min17secs, whereas the week before I averaged 2min9secs. The coach here seems to not have any idea and I am in need of some advice.

My typical week has been

mon speedwork usually tempo
Tues Long run 1hr-1hr15min
Weds Speedwork usually faster interval eg 400m
Thurs Long run same as tues
Fri speedwork long intervals 800m-1milex6
Sat 1hr
Sun 1hr45-2hrs

We are about to start racing so obviously one of the speed sessions will drop out.

Anyway I hope to hear from someone soon

[Anonymously Posted by: 'mcrae_paul']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One very important question, what distance are you preparing for? I'm guessing the 10k, based on your mileage and length of the intervals. If it's anything under 10k, your mileage is probably higher than it needs to be.

That is a big difference in interval time from one week to the next. Do you feel tired on a regular basis? Keeping mileage high and adding intensity is a tough combination. Tired legs might be the first sign that one of the two needs to be backed off on.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Dan. I am running the 5km and 1500m. Therefore should my mileage be around 70miles a week? And if so how fast should I be doing it.

Thanks agian for the reply

Paul

[Anonymously Posted by: 'mcraepaul']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Mileage needs very greatly from one individual to the next, but I would say 50-70 per week would be a good range, depending on which of the two events you are emphasizing.

In my mind, the way to determine your correct mileage is finding the highest total you can maintain without sacrificing quality. That will also dictate how fast you should be running it.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: