Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
College Cross Country

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys seen the results from last weekends conference champs?

Webb won the Big Ten meet. Tegenkamp took second.

Ritzenhem took second at the Big 12 meet.

You just got to hope for the future!
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that it would indicate some good things may be in store this outdoor season .. That would be nice ... I don't keep up much with cross country Sad ... Anyone know how Webb's season compares to his last high school cross country season ??? Just curious as to how that may translate to his outdoor track season .. He was 3:54 and 3:38 with huge improvements ... Would be nice to see him around 3:50 and 3:34 although I think that would be asking a lot of him .. But maybe 3:36 might be realistic ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that. Webb is looking good and is a good bet for top 5 at nationals. It appears he's running stronger than Ritz right now, which is impressive considering the licking Dathan put on him at Footlocker last year, plus the added distance of college XC.

The biggest surprise to me was seeing Grant Robisson win the Pac 10's for Stanford. As good as he was in the Oregon high school ranks (mostly 1500), I don't think anyone would have predicted that amount of improvement, although I think he did run 14:0x his freshman year. Another Oregon product, Ian Dobson also ran quite well for them, and they have a couple freshman girls from Oregon that look to be at the top of their JV squad and actually running faster than some of their top 7 folks.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm headed up to Virginia to watch the daughter in a B team meet this weekend. The varsity team (JMU) won the Colonial Athletic Conference meet last weekend and they have a couple of girls who could make it to nationals.

Not sure how Webb's times compare to high school but by winning a major conference meet I think he has "arrived" on the college scene.

The calf is better than yesterday so maybe it will heal faster than I first expected.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip this weekend. The daughter ran in a B team meet with James Madison U., Duke, Georgetown and Virginia. Wasn't one of her best races but she managed to stay out of last in both the overall and team standings!
It was a 6K course and it had a lot of long and steep hills. Actually it was pretty brutal.

As far as the incidentals...we stayed at a Bed & Breakfast Inn in the Blue Ridge mountains. My wife thought the Inn was haunted when we first saw it. But it had six cats and that won her over. The leaves were gorgeous and the weather was perfect for spectating but a little warm for racing. Overall it was a weekend well spent!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a good weekend (first half of it; more to go!). Good calf healing experience? Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calf is better. I am off crutches.

The NCAA regionals were yesterday. Webb lost his first race of the year, took 2nd. Tegenkamp was 4th. In another regional Ritzenhiem was less than a second behind Jorge Torres.

Michigan, Colorado, Stanford, Arkansas and Notre Dame should all do well at the Championships on the 19th.

For the women it should be Brigham Young, Stanford or possibly a surprise team like NC State.

The meet is only a 4 hour drive from here. Tempting...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I wouldn't exactly call Webb's 2nd place a "loss," as the winner is a strong favorite for the NCAA title. I heard Torres and Ritz pretty much coasted the course and almost got caught at the end while taking it too easy.

We also had our regional meet (d3) this weekend, with our men advancing to nationals and one woman qualifying individually. Both teams took 2nd place, but we only had one qualifying spot from our region on the women's side.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any predictions for next years X-C season?

I know this will come as a huge shock to everyone, but I think CU will repeat, although they will be hounded by the usual suspects Stanford and Arkansas. Colorado is returning their top four runners and they are getting two pretty darn good freshmen in Bret Schoolmester who has the second fastest two mile in the US (8:52.6) and Billy Neslon who has the third fastest (8:58.29). I'll be curious to see what Wettmore does with these two, if he red shirts one of them or just throws them into the fray. And I'm sure Stanford is also having another great recruiting class and who knows what McDonell will bring in, possibly from over seas. Northern Arizona also added a good runner in Nurani Sheikh who finnished fourth at Footlocker.

Of coarse getting a runner is only the first step, you have to have them continue to improve or all the hype will be for nothing. As we've seen demonstrated in dramatic fashion in recent days.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be at least somewhat surprised if Colorado didn't repeat next year, given who they've got coming back. Of course, Torres and Ritz can't really improve on their scoring positions, so it's up to the rest of the squad to pick it up or at least hold even.

Wisconsin should be working their way into the fray, too.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, they landed the Footlocker runner up in Bobby Lockhart, who is sitting 5th in the 2mile with a 8:58.66.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: