Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Calculating Max Heart Rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I am a 41-year-old returnee to competitive athletics. Having given up running in 1992 after a ten-year spell of x country, track, road running and latterly triathlon. I am now keen to ge to the top in veteran competition in the UK and am training very hard to achieve this.(need to get back to my times of ten years ago which were 31min 10k, 51m 10m, 67m 1/2m, 2.25 for Marathon)

My main question is how can I accurately measure my maximum heart rate. While on a stepper in the gym last week, I recorded a pulse in excess of 190bpm. It got me thinking about my potential, which is partly about physical characteristics. I believe that I could easily get my pulse into the low 200's - which in theory should be impossible...

any thoughts?

PS As a student in 1996 my VO2 Max was measured at 76 L/KG/Min at a heart rate of 186bpm

Nick Ballard

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Nick Ballard']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Is there really such a thing as max heart rate, or is it just a theoretical number derived from age? I've never been much of a believer in max and target heart rates. Like you, I've measured my heart rate (by hand) in the area of 200 just warming up. I surely didn't feel close to death. Wink

I subscribe to the push to the limit, but within reason, theory. Don't believe in some numerical limit that you read about in a book, but be smart enough to recognize when your body has met a real limit...

Best of luck with your comeback. I'll be looking for you in the Masters results!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2000 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks for the advice - I tend to agree and in fact since posting this notice I have hardly given heart rate a second thought. I become more interested in this kind of thing when injured and working out in the gym... I have now got back on the road and bashing out seventy plus miles a week and worrying more about times than heart rate. Recently completed a windy 10km in 34mins, which is becoming respectable....

Good site....

Regards

Nick

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Nick Ballard']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, excellent job Nick! Smile Your times and mileage are definitely something to be proud of.

I'm as guilty as anyone of overthinking when I run. Thinking about theoretical limits would only compound the problem.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: