Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Slightly gross, yet sincere question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpo
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Slightly gross, yet sincere question Reply with quote

On two seperate occasions after running recently, I urinated a dark reddish brown. I went to the doctor, and thankfully it was not blood. It was probably protein. (Unfortunately, after two tests, I still don't have a totally straight answer.) The good thing is, they don't think it is anything bad. Apparently, this is a slightly common thing for runners, but normally marathon runners. However, I only run about 4 miles, average, per work out, at a 7 minute mile pace . I've looked this up online, and have seen vague descriptions saying it could be hemoglobin or other things my English major mind has no understanding of.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of this? Is there anyway to prevent this? Like, should I be wearing compression shorts or something? Or just ignore it? There is no pain whatsoever related to this.

Thanks for your response, and I apologize if this is a little gross. I wasn't sure where else to ask.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I've ever heard of it. My first guess would have been severe dehydration.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not only heard of it but have experienced it fairly often. It's no big deal just one of those things. From what I understand what happens is that for some reason during your run your body begins to break down protein as a fuel source and the broken down waste products of protein are simply a different color than broken down fats or carbs. Usually it results from a high amount of protein in the diet or people with low body fat will experince this after runs. In short if your doctor told you not to sweat it, he's probably right.
dpo
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I figured as such, but man, when that happens the first time one gets a little spooked. Thanks for letting me know your experience. Though it says it is common on medical websites, it is certainly more refreshing hearing it from an actual fellow runner.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that sort of thing can be pretty freaky when you don't know why it's happening.
Taeron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt it's anything to worry about since your doctor said it was ok. If it would have been hemoglobin I think he would have known, hemoglobin is the substance in the blood that transports oxygen throughout the body.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the excretion of Ketones be involved? Are you on an extremely low carb diet? Or do you eat a lot of dark red fruits and vegetables; beets, cranberries, carrots, etc. If you are on a low carb, high protein diet, proper hydration could be a factor, like Dan commented, since carbs tend to help retain more water in the body.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: