Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Taking liquids on long runs

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what I can do to absorb liquids on the run? I cramp up if I take more than the smallest sip of water, and I have to wait on that till after about 13 miles(ie, already dehydrated). I'd like to do a spring marathon but for obvious reasons have run into trouble in marathons before. Thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you stay well hydrated the bulk of the day, i.e. while not running? That is probably the more important time to take in fluids, and is much easier to experiment with. Other than that, potassium might help with cramping, but that's a bit of a reach...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Drinking on the Run Reply with quote

Those "gurus" who tell you to drink vast amounts of liquid during a marathon, obviously haven't actually tried it.

Under normal conditions, I begin taking liquid (water or Powerade) at the five or six mile mark. I only take a few sips, and walk a few steps while doing so.

I continue to take a few sips at every aid station up to the 20 or 22 mile mark, then I stop taking liquid for the last few miles.

While it's true, your cramping might be due to an electrolyte problem, it's more likely connected to tight muscles or muscle imbalance, and or insufficient training (or rest). Mike (Mad Dog) www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: