Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Event change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a VERY important question that I need answering, and I will be so thankful for any input. I am a highscool distace runner who is now running indoor track, and for this season, my team has chosen to concentrate on the 4x800 meter relay, and get under 10:00. Our whole team is very talented, but one of the girls we've chosen to run is a 100-300m sprinter, who we think will be a good distace runner. She is a pretty good sprinter, but has the stride and build of an 800 runner.
My problem is that I have no idea how to get her into shape to run the 800. Recently, on an indoor track meet, she ran it in 3:03, (without any taining, which is very promising), but the rest of the team was around 2:30! She, of course cannot go on the long runs of 10 miles the the other three on the team do, and so we don't know what runs to include her in, and what new workouts to do with her.
We have six weeks until the state meet, can you give any advice?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Julia Lassiter Lucas']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julia,

I think the key with converting a sprinter to a mid-distance runner is working on the mentality, especially if she already has the talent, as you say. What I mean is learning to be a little less aggressive and experiencing the slow grinding pain. This means doing lots of 400m-600m intervals, and the occasional 5+ mile runs to work on the aerobic aspect.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sooooooo much. I'll write you when out team wins the NCHSAA Indoor 4x8 state meet this year. Also, because the rest of my team are distance runners, we are all a little slow with our turnover. any advice on training, or weight lifting. Should we keep up with the 10 and 12 milers right to the end oncw a week?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'lassi']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, run fast! Wink

Lots of drills, bounding, strides, sprints... Mileage is fine unless you want to get significantly faster. It's very rare for someone to be able to combine speed and endurance work at the same time, especially when you're approching it from the short-term.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: