Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Nothing to do with Running

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Dan!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ed']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ed. It feels good to be home. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 1999 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, We have been communicating through email but I also want to thank you publicly. You did a great job with your board and I thank you for sharing it.

I can not wait until I have some time to play around with the modifications you posted.

Wink

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Baovan']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 1999 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Baovan. Always happy to help!

If anyone's hungry, check out Baovan's super appetizing BiteOfAsia site. I'm trying out the phad thai recipe!!! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2000 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan,

Happy New Year! Just a note to let you know I still drop by from time to time to see how you are doing. I wish this was a NASCAR site Smile. Just kidding.

Take care and thanks again for all of your help.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2000 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Happy New Year to you too! Obviously, you've got two choices:

1) take up running, or Smile

2) become a fan of the sport! Smile

By the way, I talked with a few people about possibly hosting a Discus "mods repository" here and ran the idea by Kevin P. Tough to say if it's worth it from a liability and covering-my-butt standpoint, but it's a possibility.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2000 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be great!

1) It would give me a good reason to drop by everyday.
2) The board on discusware has been DEAD for the past week.

You definately have my vote. I don't see that liability would be an issue (I'm sure that Kevin would appreciate the help) and there is an example site that does this already. Can't remember the name but it is a computer users group in Mass I think. I know he went to a java menu applet for his board that is slow slow slow even on a fast connection.

Keep me posted.

BTW - Do you remember telling me that the posted solution to self-registration for the free version would probably work with B3.1.x. I had seen that documentation on the Discus site but after I got you message, I went up there to get the procedure and it was gone or at least I can't find it anymore. I think they pulled it (and I don't blame them) because that is one of Pro's big features. I am buying Pro but am waiting for the Pro version of 3.1 - they are still selling only 3.01 for Pro.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2000 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Last things first, here's the user registration add-on. Should be quite straight forward to add in.

And first things last (I think MAS might be the site you're referring to with the SLOW java menu)... Here's the email I got regarding my idea for the mods repository. I think it should be fine to copy it here, seeing as how if I were to go ahead with it I'd pretty much have to post it in its entirety:

-------------------------
Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. Per the Discus license agreement, you would be permitted to implement and use Discus in any capacity you wish, which would include such a forum. However, these are the concerns we would have about this idea:

1) Support -- DiscusWare does not support modifications. You would make this clear so it should not be a problem. Even though we would say this, our experience has shown that we (and you, as the administrator) will get e-mails about those unsupported things.

2) Licensing -- Per the Discus license agreement, any derivative works of the Discus code are owned by DiscusWare. Our concern is that "Joe Smith" writes a large section of code for a feature that DiscusWare eventually wants to implement. Later on, DiscusWare would write this feature. Joe Smith might claim that DiscusWare has infringed upon his copyright of his code, creating sticky legal issues for us. Depending on interpretation (perhaps of courts) this could seriously hurt the future development of Discus, as we would be impeded from developing our own product by having to pay royalties to Joe Smith, make him a partner, etc. Your users would need to have a clear understanding that all code written is the property of DiscusWare, for us to do what we want with.

3) Licensing revisited -- Discus Pro is copyrighted commercial software. Reposting portions (or the entire) Discus Pro code on a site is illegal and a violation of our license agreement and copyright. Since your users will almost certainly want to share their code with others, they will want to post their section of code, which might include portions of the Discus code as well.

An unknowing user might post entire files. Before setting up a site, you should make sure that safeguards are in place to prevent this from happening.

These three reasons are the exact reasons why we don't offer such a forum.

However, with time (which we do not have ourselves) and effort, this could be a valuable resource. We're happy to answer any licensing questions you might have (or to review any procedures you have in place to make sure that the license doesn't get violated).

Thank you for your interest in Discus and your commitment to assisting us in the development of our product.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first - Thanks for the code!!!!!

I have been out of pocket a couple of days. Out of my comfort zone nestled in the foothills of the Sierra's and into the jungle of Palo Alto. Toooo many people down there!

Lawyers - I see what you mean after reading the e-mail. I think I am starting to understand the attraction of Linux. No hassels with the american justice system - just plain old 'do anything you want to with it' public domain code.

I can see Kevin's point and he is certainly being nice about it but he seems to be putting the burden of 'copyright cop' on you if you host the forum.

The hassel factor is probably not worth it.

Thanks again for sending me the lost link from discus. I will work with it this weekend and let you know how it went.

Take care

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discus up and running but I want to use the run-down stuff. Do I just replace the following files:

topics.conf
subtopics.conf
newpage.conf
messages.conf
addmessage-public.conf
addmessage-private.conf

and then the
Navigation bar mods ??

I am not that good with cgi. I can not program. I can modify simple stuff but that is about it. I can usually get them working without a problem. Discus went up easy. Thanks

[Anonymously Posted by: 'brett']

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I've been using Discus on my site for a couple of years now but I never figured out you could do so much with plain ol' discus!!!

This is really gr8!

What I would like to know is how you get all the extra smilies in your board?

Its really hard to believe that this is discus freeware, the new account feature is great.

Thanks,

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Rahul Khandelwal']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, replacing the conf files as noted and making the nav bar changes should do it, although the mods aren't updated for the latest version (I think I left off with the official 3.1 release).

To add extra smilies, just upload them into the clipart directory, and they should become functional when accessed by name (they may need to be chmod).

Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great.

BTW which version of the board are you running??

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Rahul Khandelwal']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.10. Looks like they've had 4 new releases since then...

Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the newest version of discus. Will your modifications work with the new version?

I like your modifications, so hopefully they will work with the newest version. If not, how can we get the 3.1 version?

Thanks!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Brett']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: