FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Faster Block Starts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brixon
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if i could get some help. I run the 110 hurldes, and my times are great, but I'm always the last one over the first hurdle. My fastest time this year is a 14.71 and provisional Nationals Qaulifiing is 14.7, hence my dilema. I want to make it to nationals, as does every other athelete. The great thing is, I'm only a freshman Outdoor, so i have a few years left to run. It takes me 2.7 seconds to get to the first hurdle, and If i was a good at blocks it whoud only take me 2.5 or 2.4 seconds. Any help would be excellent! Smile thanks
Brian Dixon

[ This Message was edited by: Brixon on 2002-04-22 09:01 ]
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can see what Dan thinks about this, but I used to use resistance .. Weight vests, ankle weights, rope pull .. Stuff like that .. Also used to set me blocks a few meters behind everyone elses but that would ruin your stride patern to the hurdle unless you just did it to work on your start with out hurdles ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway's suggestions are good, but I also worry about stride pattern when you significantly change your start. To be honest, I don't really understand the hurdles and what it takes to improve overall speed when you have a measured distance that your strides have to cover...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: what is your reaction time like .. That could be a place to start that would not impact actual stride pattern .. Increasing speed out of the blocks of itself will not hurt your stride pattern .. But altering the actual speed of the strides themselves might .. Most hurdlers that I have known have worked primarily on getting "out" quicker ..
Brixon
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my reaction time sucks. I'm looking at doing alot of plyo's, jump roped, that sort of thing to increase my fast twithc muscles, but i was just wondering, like what else woudl be good to do. I want to get over that 14.7 hump that is just taunting me. I know i can do it, if i can just get out of the blocks with the rest of the field.

Thanks
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about working on your reaction to a sharp sound ?? For example simpy having someone clap two blocks together and reacting to it .. Can either do so coming out of the blocks or just moving yoru arms to the sound simulating arm movement out of the blocks ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway's suggestions are very good for working on reaction time. Fast twitch is important too, but it's not quite the same issue as the actual reaction to a noise.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: How tall are you? People get upright sooner for the 110 hurdles compared to the 100 dash. I have seen some good results from taller hurdlers who have switched to a Moye style Block as opposed to a traditional block. Taller runners are able to get upright quicker and prepare themselves for the first hurdle.
Brixon
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um....good suggestion, i might use it in the future. I still am getting beat to the first hurdle, but it's not as bad now. I'm at about 2.6 at the last meet, and clocked a t 14.59, which is provisionals for DII so i was pretty pumped. I'm sitting 19th now, and they only take 18, so that kinda sucks, but hey, i'm a freshman, so i 'll have three more years at DII, or even maybe DI. Well, thanks for all the help, and I'll keep you guys up to date Smile

Brian
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, looks like you're headed the right direction. A tenth here, a tenth there... Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. Glad to hear it helped some .. Hardly ever will you find a miracle cure to anything .. Usually takes a bit of work .. The key is working on the right things ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: