Training Talk
xcountry strategy

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYIntensity
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the kind of runner you are. Yes, I believe everyone should get there butt movin off the gun. If you're the type of person who likes to chase (I am) then being in the lead off the start isn't as important. Personally I like to be in the middle and work my way up "picking them off" as I go. It motivates me when I go running by someone. All I think is "Hey, I've got more guts and better training than you...see you at the finish line." After the first 100-150M, my pace starts to slow, but is still above the 5k pace. I think your advice is great (quick 400m pace).

Jeremy
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYI: Coming from off the pace is an excellent strategy for small races. (And if your goal is to finish in the Top 10-20) But to WIN races (Big races) one must run in the lead pack. In college XC races it is almost impossible to make up a 10 sec. deficit from the first mile.

Without a doubt running from off the pace is also the easiest way to run a race. (confidence) But sometimes you need to dare to be great to become great. Your body CAN handle a tougher pace if you believe.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Distance_Guru and Hammer finally pinpointed the source of this disagreement. If we are talking solely about the eventual winner of the race, then yes, being up near the front early is essential. Seriously though, how many people in a XC race have a realistic chance of winning? Probably less than 1% in a big race.

Looking back over this discussion, I see nothing that would indicate we are talking about the winners' strategy. That's the sort of attitude that gets many of us labled as elitist and does little to help those new to the sport...

Hammer, it's much more than confidence and relative ease that makes it wise for many people to start out back in the pack, although those are both big factors. Working into a rhythm is huge, and not everyone does so in the same way.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting out hard is without a doubt the best way to win a race with a large number of runners. But it isn't always bad to use this method with young runners that aren't going to win. If an athlete with little experience goes out at the back of the pack it is really hard to tell where you are in that pack. By that I mean if a runner is thinking about finishing 50th (lets just say that is where good ole coach has told him he needs to finish for the team to make state) and he starts out in the rear it can be very hard for him to tell if there are 60 or 90 people ahead, where as if he goes out early and know that he's in 25th, (which is a number that the runner themselves can count as the field rounds a turn or crests a hill) it is easier to controll your fall through the pack than to try to move up without knowing where your climbing from or where you need to get to.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta say, this is some of the most bizarre strategic reasoning I've ever seen. Basing a race plan on how far you expect to slip back in the pack relative to where you want to finish? Seems like a rather defeatest approach...

I agree that getting out front early is wise for those with a realistic shot at winning or placing very high, but for anyone else it is little more than suicide. Get out at a pace you can handle and you will finish higher than with an overly fast at minimum 9 times out of 10.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how well athletes run when fighting to hold on to spots they know they need. It's easier to be competitive with other runners when you know where you are as opposed to when you don't

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about one thing, I would indeed be surprised...

Quote:
It's easier to be competitive with other runners when you know where you are as opposed to when you don't

And it's infinitely easier to be competitive when your legs don't feel like lead from going out too fast!

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each XC runner has to develop his or her own strategy. But I have found (in HS runners, and young college runner) that most runners do not run outside of their comfort zone for much more than 1/3 of the race.

If a runner is looking for big improvement (busting one) then they would benifit from a fast start. Take a chance get out well and then try to hold on to the position.

If a runner is trying to win a race they should be with the lead pack early. The pack may run away from them. example: HS Footlocker West Regional (if you are not within 10 sec from the lead pack after 800m you will not catch the top 10 and not qualify for nationals)

A fast start is a risk... and any risk can result in trouble. But...........
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most runners do not run outside of their comfort zone for much more than 1/3 of the race.

That's probably true, but going too hard at the start might just mean they'll be running outside their comfort zone for 90% of the race, i.e. unable to sustain any sort of reasonable pace.

As you said, it depends a lot on the athlete and their goals. That's really all my point was from the start... The same race approach cannot work for everyone and should not be recommended in a blanket manner.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: