Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
caffeine in energy gels ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard a lot about the benefits of using caffeine with energy gels. I used one this weekend on a long run (a Carbboom Vanilla-Orange flavor) and it seemed to work really well.

What are your experiences using caffeinated gels instead of regular gels ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried caffeine in gels (I find gels to be rather silly, just expensive little packages of frosting), but lots of people find caffeine helpful in general, so I see no reason why that would be any different.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced some problems with caffeine in training. Some of my runners have experienced abdominal aches and even some vomiting. The athletes with strong stomachs races well with caffeine. I believe some of their achievements could be due to the belief that they would run better on caffeine.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried a ephedrine/ma huang/caffeine concoction briefly for allergy problems, I definitely noticed some stomach discomfort. I do have a very sensitive system, so that follows.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it depends on how the caffeine enters the system (pill, gel,..) I even read somewhere about drinking flat cola to get an energy kick (sugar and caffeine) without side affects of carbonated water.

Any thoughts???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that for a while -- flat coke mixed with water (about 50/50) -- and can't say I really noticed any performance boost. Studies showed it to make a pretty significant difference for extended kicks in races between a mile and 10k, but I noticed nothing for 1500/800 type stuff. I don't recall it agitating my stomach at all, though.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had MAJOR stomach problems doing cola products during an ironman- way too much simple sugar- you might as well drink gatorade ! stick with gel for your caffein and you will be much better off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: