Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
New runner seeks advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 1999 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm known for talking and writing alot so I'll give my long version of my story.
I just turned 30 and never could run, I was very overweight as a teenager and finally took up bodybuilding and powerlifting to get rid of the fat. I ended up doing very well in those areas and ended up weighing as much as 250 (however that was kind of fat, I felt and looked best at around 235) at 5'10", however I never ran and could have been in much better cardio vascular shape.
I've always had borderline high blood pressure, 135-145 over 80-90, and for years I was told it wasn't much to worry about. HIgh blood pressure runs in my family.
Well I stopped competitive bodybuilding about 2 1/2 years ago and became a much "softer" (meaning a bit fatter with corresponding loss of muscle mass) and a little less dedicated to working out.
But nothing horrible.

Man, I'm all over the place on this one - but trust me I have a point that I'm getting to

Anyway- At the beginning of this year during a physical I mentioned my 15 years or so of borderline high blood pressure and the doc mentioned that now that is cause for concern and that I needed to try and get it under control.
Well after a month or so of lifting and eating right I lost about 5 pounds but no decrease in blood pressure. Well in an attempt to stay off the medication I started running.
First day out I could barely finish a single 10 min mile but through lots of hard work and determination I've built it up to 3 miles a day with my best time being 21:26 - I'm thrilled. I've also succeded in lowering my blood pressure and don't need the medication now, but I know I have to keep up the running.
I do have a couple of problems I'm hoping to get help with.

1) I need a plan, trying to set a new PR every day just doesn't work, I know I need to cycle my running (intensity and distance) and would like advice on that. My current goal is to be able to run 3 miles in 20 minutes.

2) I'm currently running on a treadmill due to the fact that road and trail running gives me what I assume are shin splints ( a deep aching that feels like its in the bones, it makes walking painfull) but I'd like to transition to the road. I was thinking of working road running in one day at a time and would like advice on that

SOrry for the long post, my first visit here and I'm already overstaying my welcome, hope to hear from you folks soon

[Anonymously Posted by: 'lionbait']

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 1999 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I'm running 5 days a week three miles a day with my pace varying between 7-8.5 min miles depending on how tired and sore I am. This is all on the treadmill as running on the road kills my shins, I did a little under two miles on the road about 2 weeks ago and could barely walk three days later
thanx again
lionbait

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lionbait,

Yes, you certainly do write a lot. Smile

I think you touched on the key -- hard work and determination. I've been rehabbing my bad leg for nearly two years now. For a year and a half, I averaged about 1 run a month, and it would take me about a month for the aggravation to die down... The past month or two has been a dramatic change, even though the first couple weeks of returning to daily running were of the unpleasantly difficult variety. Yesterday, I had TWO good runs in 90 degree weather!

Ok, now I'm rambling. To answer your questions, having a plan is definitely a key. Possibly the only more important thing would be a training partner. If you can run 21:xx for 3 miles alone, I'd be willing to be you could run 7 pace for 4-5 miles with a good training partner. Never fails for me.

You definitely don't want to get into the routine of trying to run faster every single day. This could be especially problematic if much of your training is on the treadmill -- no way to change the loop. Remember, make your hard days as hard as possible and your easy days as easy as possible. The more you recover on your easy days, the more you'll get out of your hard days. Otherwise, you tend to just get a lot of mediocre days.

If you want to run 3 miles in 20 minutes, my advice would be to stop running 3 miles so often. Seriously. Throw in some runs along the lines of 2 miles in 13-14 minutes, 5 miles in 40 minutes, 20 minute tempo runs, etc. Variety is always helpful, especially considering the body supposedly needs a change of routine every three weeks or so because it adapts that quickly.

Lastly, check out the section about shin splints on the injury tips page. Assuming it is the same as what you're describing (pain up the inside of both shins, along the bone, from ankle to calf, basically), it might be a quick fix to your "fear" of the roads.

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the advice, I'll check it out (about the shin splints) and keep you informed as to my progress.
I took it easy today cause I was sore and I'd just finished a heavy leg day (lifting) I did a 9 min mile pace and my heart rate barely broke 155 (I usually hit 180 on my fast days, well fast for me)
I think I'll try to do a fast 2 miles tomorrow and then work it into a plan of some sorts, It would be kind of neat to see how fast I can do two miles anyway
Take care and thanx again
lionbait

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took your advice and tried a shorter but faster run yesterday and today I set a new PR for distance by running that 5 miles in 40 minutes you suggested (40:09 actually).
I was ecstatic when I finished cause thats the farthest I've ever ran in my life. One problem though, got any suggestions for blisters?
It seems I developed a pretty big blister on my right pinky toe and boy does it hurt.
Should I drain it or what?
Oh well, I guess I gotta take the bad with the good.
I'm still happy with the run though, but I may have to take the next couple of days off while the "little piggy" heals.
Well I'm gonna run, but I'm one excited new runner
thanx
lionbait

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Smile

Never underestimate the power of rest and recovery.

Suggestions for blisters? Yeah, don't get them... It's pretty common to get blisters when you enter a new level of mileage and/or intensity, but they go away pretty quick as your feet get toughened. I always drain them, unless it's a blood blister. Seems to make them heal a lot faster.

I'm glad you're so excited. Keep up the good work.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, It amazing how good I'm feeling now that I have more varied goals. The 20 min 3 mile is still my ultimate goal but it was fun to test myself on the 5 mile and then yesterday I did 2 miles in 13:20 so today I decided to go for a fast mile and did it in 6:20.
I know thats not very exciting compared to some of you young or longtime runners but considering that I NEVER EVEN DREAMED that I could run under an 8 min mile just a couple of months ago I'm very happy.
The blister turned out to be not much of a problem, still sore but I made do.
I guess I may start moving my comments to the "training" section soon since I need to make more of a plan now that the value of varying distance and pace has become so evident to me.
But I just want to say thanx for the advice and encouragement.
til next time
lionbait

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I'm glad it seems to be working thus far. Don't worry about comparing your time/pace to other people; remember, running is a very individual sport and everyone starts at a different level. Just keep doing the best you can.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: