Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Carbo-Loading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 1999 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I couldn't help but read that bit of advice on carboloading and I would like to offer my two cents. It can be argued that carbo-loading is very important for races as short as 5k-10k. The reason being is that glycogen depletion rate increases exponentialy with pace. So for example 3 miles at 5k race pace could have that same depletion rates as 10 miles slow.

Yes, I too always thought it didn't matter for short races but it does! Owen Anderson recently illustrated this point in his June-July Issue of Running Research News. A study illustrated the effect of carbo loading on short workout bouts(5 x 60sec). Three groups were in the study: A high carbo, medium carbo, and low carbo group. After 5 weeks the hi carbo group improved performances 5.6 percent. The medium carbo group improves performances 2.3 percent. The low carbo group decreased work by 5.4 percent!!(European journal of Applied Physiology vol 67, 1993). There were many other studies cited in his article too.

Understand these main points:

The logic that you don't need to carbo load is because on the fact that marathon pace is much slower than 5k-10K pace. Thus depletion doesn't become a factor until 10-15 miles at marathon pace.

Carbo loading can positively affect power(speed) not only pure endurance

You will gain water weight when you carbo load

A speed workout can Glycogen Deplete you more than a long easy run. This is why you can overtrain on relatively low mileage!

Adding hills to your run drastically increases glycogen depletion.

What we have always been taught handed down from running circles and coaches is not necessarily true!!!

Smile

-T

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tyrone Goldstein']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 1999 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. This sounds quite similar to the intensity vs. LSD (long, slow distance) metabolism debate. 5.6 percent vs. 5.4 percent at the extremes, looks like it sucks to be in the middle! Guess that's one more knock against the 40/30/30...

Did Owen say what he regarded as carbo-loading?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: