Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Creatine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I read your experiences with creatine. Do you strongley reccomend not to take it? Do you think it would help a 5-10k runner? or just sprinters? Your thoughts as of late? thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

I am very mixed on whether or not to recommend Creatine. For a 5-10k runner, it will definitely not help. The creatine energy system basically lasts for the first 6 seconds of explosive effort, and I doubt that'll make or break a 10k. Smile Also, creatine will almost certainly add muscle mass, which will more than counter any quickness you might gain.

For speed/power oriented events, I have no doubt that it works. In my case, it just worked a little too well... There is much controversy about whether or not it causes muscle injuries. I don't know the answer to this, but I can easily attribute my injury to how hard I was working. I knew I was walking a fine line, but it was a risk I felt I had to take. If you want to look at it as the Creatine allowed me to work that hard, then you could argue for it causing the injury.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your muscles really reacted to the creatine, almost like steroids for some people! Agreed on the longer races, prob. not effective! Thanks again.
By the way, I tried the caffiene incorporated about 3 cups 1 hour before my workout. It really helped in the first 3 miles, then I felt as usuall. I did run the first 3 much faster than normal, so that may account for why my last 2 were at 'normal' pace. There is definately a correlation between caffiene and th onse of exhaustion or at least the PERCEPTION of exhaustion. Doesn't choline work the same way as far as percieving feeling tired!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that's the tough thing to sort out: Did I react really well to the Creatine, or was the Creatine's effect magnified because I was doing so much more speed/strength work than ever before? One thing is, I was being very conscientious to train in a manner to get the maximum benefit from both. I guess that's why they conduct lab experiments in controlled environments...

That's kind of funny about caffeine's effect on your run. The studies that I read said it should help your kick most! Maybe that extra jitter got you juiced too much at the start and left your kick a little flat? Should I know what choline is?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am not sure. Choline is fairly new as a supplement (although not realy a supplement). All I know is it occurs naturally in your body, and has some sort of effect on your ability to push harder....so to speak. Mainly used by endurance athletes. Check it out or, if you want me to, I will get the low down on it and post it!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the same as Bovine Colostrum? (Sounds remotely similar.) I've got a link for Intact's product in the links.

Dan
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choline is a nutrient found in the body and some foods that helps the brain conduct messages to the muscles, allowing the body to do what the brain is telling it to do. After strenuous exercise the body depletes its choline supply and the brain knows what it wants the body to do but can't tell the body properly, causing fatigue. That is the jist of it. Pro Enhancer is a manufacturer of it as well as glycerol. They are a reputable company. Should look it up! anyway that is all I know!
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sctratch my last....Internutria Sports is the Manufacturer, Pro Enhancer is the product..Internutria Sprots makes good stuff. nad no I am not a rep. hahaha
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I need, something to make me think more while I'm running... Wink

I looked it up, and here's Internutria's URL, for anyone interested. Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep an ear out for further details.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: