Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Thoughts on moving from the 400 to the 800?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPEEDYNASH
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on moving from the 400 to the 800? Reply with quote

I am going to be a junior next year in high school, i ran the 400 for the first time this season, starting with a 57 and my PR at the end of this season was a 53.4. I am seriously considering working for the 800 in the offseason. I currently am running mabye 7 mpw on my own after practice.

Any ideas on what kind of 800 time i could run as of now? and any advice for training or what kind of splits i should go for early on? Any information would be great! Thanks!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rough 400-800 conversion is to add 5 seconds to your 400 time for the first lap and another 5 seconds for the 2nd lap, so 58.4/63.4 splits for a 2:01.8. (Over the years, I've come to prefer more even splits, with a 2-3 sec differential between laps, i.e. 59/62 in your case.)

Of course, you improved 4 sec this year in the 400, so it stands to reason you'll improve more next year and have a shot at sub-2:00 in the 800.

Keep in mind, the various conversions assume equal ability at both events. A power sprinter obviously will not do as well at mid-distance events. So, you'll need to put in typical 800m work in order to make the jump successfully. How much summer running do you and your teammates do? Fall sport?

Dan
SPEEDYNASH
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure yet on how much running because i am on my 2 week break, so i havent discussed anything more than the idea with coaches, but i know it will be alot, because they know that im gonna want them to kick my a** and get me in the best position to go sub 2 next season. I am currently running 5-7 mpw on my own. I was considering XC, but that then takes away from my pole vault in the fall, which is something i cant afford, so i am leaning toward just sticking with running with my distance coach.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have PV in the fall? Confused Is that prep work for Indoor?

Anyway, as long as you're working with the coaches during the fall, that keeps you in a structured environment and you should be able to work some decent 800m base training in to get the necessary year-round development. That should do you as much good as XC will.

Dan
SPEEDYNASH
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, its for indoor and overall development work, just getting better. and ok, thanks alot for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: