Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
youth running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any advice for a new runner? I am a freshman and we have to run the mile and two mile three times a week. So far I am usually last and I have such bad cramps and sometimes I end up throwing up the last lap. This is for basketball pre-season. I ran it in 9:12 and I have to get down to 6:30
Thanks for any help
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice, hmm...
Quote:
and we have to run the ...

Yep, there's the first flag! Smile I'm a believer in the way people phrase such things being a big indication of what attitude they take into their training and whether or not they are defeated before they start. You don't have to do anything, you get to! Getting in shape is a privilege that goes with playing basketball. Smile If you tell yourself you have to do it, then it's unlikely you will be motivated to prepare yourself properly to make succeeding a reality.

What does preparation involve? Well, proper nutrition, hydration, rest (sleep and social), and proper focus. All will affect how you feel and could easily be the source of your throwing up. Above all, be patient. Conditioning doesn't happen overnight.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan hit the nail on the head. Attitude is everything. When you run a mile in 6:30 you are going to be in better shape than the overwhelming majority of students in your school. Now that is something to get excited about!
Micah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: