Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
What is more important for a 400m athlete ,Speed or Stamina?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeurr implied it. "This is too simple--it is all common sense!
The speed that a person runs the 400 m with is about 90 to 95% of their maximum speed as developed over 100 meters. If you are slow over 100 m, your 90 to 95% also will be slower. "

Now you're definitely right about the focus and stuff, but I used that Bolt vs. Johnson example that Indeurr's logic is not all entirely true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how that implies any such thing... He said 90 to 95% ... 5% leeway is huge when talking about sprints! The point being, there's a range for everyone, but it all ties back to maximum speed.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since Bolt basically has the highest max speed, what could he be lacking for him to break the 400m world record?

Now let's forget about the 400m for a second. Would the same apply for running the mile? I mean when you're on the last 100m stretch which is basically the only time you run your fastest. Shouldn't the same theory of having a higher maximum speed apply to that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to have the endurance to be in contention for that last 100 to even matter.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelo Z wrote:
So since Bolt basically has the highest max speed, what could he be lacking for him to break the 400m world record?

Until he shifts his training focus to the 400m, it's a moot point. Two years ago, he was exclusively a 200m runner and his 100m prowess was almost non-existent. He's probably capable of a very good 400m, but he has to train for it first.

Quote:
Would the same apply for running the mile? I mean when you're on the last 100m stretch which is basically the only time you run your fastest. Shouldn't the same theory of having a higher maximum speed apply to that?

Not as directly, as the mile is a fairly aerobic event and top end speed has less to do with the overall pace that can be maintained. That's why I made mention previously of comparisons across similar events. The 100m and mile have nothing to do with each other in terms of training.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: