Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
How to run the mile in under 3:40?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize, you're not the only one who has expressed a lack of patience with Angelo's ongoing fluff pieces...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a rival-his name is Matt Stalnaker, do you want me to post the link? I like how you all corner me, it fuels my motivation in running. Don't forget, once I prove my ability, everyone stands down. Now the next time I will ever post on here, will be a couple years from today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't forget, once I prove my ability, everyone stands down.

That's a strange statement. Is it referring to the past or the future? I can't tell... No one has stood down yet because nothing has been proven, so what is there to not forget? Question

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do prove it. If this has motivated you into getting going and racing then great. I am happy for it.

Oh yeah and that Lagat guy yeah he is done... http://www.iaaf.org/WIM09/news/newsid=49280.html
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelo Z wrote:
I did have a rival-his name is Matt Stalnaker, do you want me to post the link? I like how you all corner me, it fuels my motivation in running. Don't forget, once I prove my ability, everyone stands down. Now the next time I will ever post on here, will be a couple years from today.

I think that he means the 2012 OLIMPIAD or so!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can safely speak for everyone in this thread in saying we will happily admit to being wrong, if in fact we are proven wrong...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100%

By the way I did a pretty exhaustive search to find this Matt Stalnaker phantom - the most results I found were for a decent HS kid from North Carolina... However I persisted and found at long last a CO Matt Stalnaker around the same age as TOP claims to be

Niketown 5K 2007 CO 5/6/07 20:22
Cherry Creek Sneak 5M 2007 - RUN//5Miles CO 4/29/07 36:42
Valentine's Day 5K CO 2/11/07 - 21:06

And digging deeper I found an Angelo from the Niketown 5k in 06 with a 24:30 - not a bad time for a 12 year old...

but a far far cry from this guy...

Statistics & Personal Bests

My current VO2max is 71.07ml/kg/min.
Marathon-3:46 hours/minutes possibly in 2 hour range now.
10K-29:57:59. Possibly in 28 minute range now.
5K-14:01
Mile-4:12.1
800m-1:56
400m-48.4
100m-11.7 seconds. The .7 may be inaccurate, I used a stop watch.
Heart Size-19% larger than normal. The doctor found this under an MRI scan, and thought that I had abnormally, unhealthy heart hypertrophy, but it turned out it was as a result of exercise.
Height-5'6''
Weight-108 Ibs. lost another 3 lbs from 107.
Age-16 (August 26th, 1992)
Shoe Size-9-9.5 (U.S.)
My first timed mile 7:21 in 6th grade, around 1 hour of *real* intense physical activity a week. Haven't been on teams, or anything else.

Not sure how a 14 min 5k guy would consider a 20 min guy a rival...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice detective work!

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... I too searched Matt Stalnaker on Athlinks.com and found the 15-year-old from Colorado... but he wasn't fast enough to be "Angelo's rival," and I failed to find anything about Angelo himself.

The 4:09 miler he mentioned from his high school, Charles White, is probably legit though... Apparently since Texas's old distance coach moved, he turned them down and went to Abilene Christian College instead. I'm almost tempted to email him out of curiosity or something, since apparently Angelo was a friend of his, but that might be a little creepy...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt was my rival in 8th grade when we were running in the high 5:00 mile range. He had a stress fracture in his right leg when our freshman year started. He was only my rival in 8th grade is what I'm trying to say, he wasn't my rival when I got a lot faster than him obviously. Later on in 9th grade, his friends told me that he runs under 4:30 and that he gets paid $10,000 by Nike which Dan said was impossible (even I knew it wasn't true). I also have another friend, Walter Schafer who goes to my old high school in Colorado. He ran 4:20 and a 9:02 2 mile. But yeah, I've talked to both of them a couple of times on facebook, they're friends with Galen Rupp and German Fernandez but those guys have 2K+ friends on facebook.

Also, that 12 year old is definitely not me because I know I've never ran in a Niketown 5K. I'm just an independent runner, I need to join some real races for my times to appear on the internet/gain fame or publicity. Think about it as being some hunter in South America that has been chasing pray over huge distances to bring food to the tribe, he probably can run a sub 4:15 mile without even knowing. That is true anyways because humans are built for endurance and I've also watched discovery channel where they talked about certain tribes around the world that chase an animal such as a deer over 40+ miles until it tires out and how the hunters have incredible stamina. All I can say is that it takes time. I have 2 track seasons left in HS to join or in college. I know it's unusual because when you look at Webb, Fernandez, Rupp, all other fast HS runners, they have a history of running in races in middle school and on. By history I mean times, anyone can have a history of running, but not running through the 4:00 range as the years go by. Those guys didn't just show up to their first track meet running sub 4, they've been well known. For example people already knew about Fernandez when he ran that 4:00 mile his senior year because he ran 4:24 in Riverbank, CA as a freshman and he was in the newspaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: