Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Calculating split times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dose anyone know what the formula is for calculating average time per mile given the time and distance?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Christopher Connelly']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I don't think there's a formula so much as it is a regular ol' conversion. Take your total time, convert it to seconds (or fractions of a minute, depending on how precise you want to be) and divide by the number of miles, then convert back to minutes and seconds if need be.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Dan thanks for your responce. I not trying to be anal about it but that is the way it is done. I made a ruuning log in a Accesses data base and I need the actual Arithmatic. I am not a math wiz as you can tell but I have tried with a calculator converting the minutes to seconds dividing by the distance and then converting back to minutes but it dosen't seem to work. For example. If I ran 3.9 miles at a time of 27.25 minutes. How do I actualy convert the minutes to seconds is it 27.25 X 60? That would give me 1,635 seconds. Then divide by distance, 1,635/3.9 that gives the result of 419.23 seconds per mile. Now divide that by 60, 419.23/60 and I get 6.99. That should realy be 7.39. Do you get my drift? I did the last part in my head I just would like the computer to do it for me.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Christopher Connelly']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's see what we can do here:

27.25 minutes (I'll take that to mean 27 minutes and 25 seconds; .25 minutes would be 15 seconds, so adjust accordingly if I misread) = 1645 seconds (looks like I misread Wink )

1645/3.9 miles = 421.79 sec/mile

421.79/60 = 7.03 min/mile

So, we know we have 7 min/mile and change. Take the remainder (0.03) and convert that to seconds,

0.03 * 60 = 1.8 seconds

Assuming I didn't make any mistakes along the way, that results in roughly 7:02 (rounding up) per mile.

Does that do it for you?

I was thinking of maybe writing a little program for this in Perl or JavaScript. Maybe I'll toy with it this weekend...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about exact pace on easy days.

Just go by time run at your easy pace.

Instead of 3.9 miles at 27.25 mins....
Just say approx 30 min/4m at easy pace.

This is true especially in the heat
It also helps you cross train easier by comparing minutes with minutes.

Smile

-T

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tyrone Goldstein']

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a formula...

Example:
1:27:40 in 20 miles = ? min/ mile

---------------
>Step 1: Get min/mile with decimal remainder

Formula: [(HRS x 60) + (MIN) + (SEC/60)] / MILES
Result : 4.383 min/mile

---------------
>Step 2: Convert decimal remainder to second remainder

Formula: [REMAINDER x 60]
Result: 23 secs

---------------
>Step 3: Remove decimal remainder, add second remainder

Result: 4:23 min/mile

---------------

That's pretty damn fast!

---------------
>Quick approximations for your head

0.016 min = 1 sec
0.05 min = 3 sec
0.10 min = 6 sec
0.25 min = 15 sec
0.50 min = 30 sec
0.75 min = 45 sec
1.00 min = 60 sec

You could say 4.38 is close to 4.4 = 4:24.
This is not a bad estimate from 4:23
---------------

-T

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tyrone Goldstein']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tyrone, those are helpful pointers. I agree that an exact pace calculation is rather pointless unless you're on the track (or precisely marked roads) controlling pace for race preparation.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tyrone and Dan,

I think this will help I am going to play around with it today. The purpose of the calculation is not to govern my pace, its more of a record keeping exercise. I developed an Access database for a running log. With a relational Database I can perform Queries for just about anything I want to compile, distance per week, per month, pace, and review notes. I could even break the fields down further to tempurature and humidity that would make it possible to relate performance to weather conditions. I think I will keep it simple for now. The running log is kind of a psycology, I look foward to making a new entry therefor I look foward to run.

I haven't run marathons for a few years just working on 5k's nothing more than a 10K. A relative of mine ask me if I want to run the Army Ten Miler hense the Running Log.

Thanks,
Chris Connelly

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Chris Connelly']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting endeavor. Polish it up and you might be able to market it!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: