Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
10 K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: 10 K Reply with quote

Im running my first ever 10 k in june and its gonna be me first ever race over 400 meters so im figuring that a good goal is somewhere around 42 but im not sure if that might be pushing it a little bit or possibly selling my self short a little bit. You guys know im a sprinter but i making the switch to distance next year and my uncle wanted me to run this with him and i thought it would be a good way to kick off my training. When i run on my own (when track is cancelled) i usually run either 45 min or 30 min at a 7 min pace so i think that a 42 is totally possible. What do you guys think?
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my question would be are you running "with" your uncle or just in the same race - that may determine time.

Sure if you are running about that pace for 30 - 45 mins that shoul dbe an achievable goal
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a reasonable goal to me.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just running in the same race, not with him. Any tips on running a 10K?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hit 42:00, you could try starting conservatively (just a bit faster than training pace) and cut down the second half once you find a good rhythm. The longer the race, the more cautious you want to be about early pacing, at least until you're experienced at the distance. Something like 21:30/20:30 or 21:15/20:45 halves.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run for 30 minutes at 7:00 pace or 8.5 mph? That is someone with a sub 5:30 mile range. I don't know many sprinters that can run a mile under 5:30, but I'm guessing that you're just fast. Also how would you be able to run that fast without specific training? A sprint training program comes no where near a middle distance program. I'm not giving you advice on running the 10K, I'm asking how a sprinter could run a 42 minute 10K. Believe me, I know all one's best times from how many miles they can run in 30 minutes. That's always been my base workout almost everyday. When I was at 8.0, I could run under 5:50, when I was at 8.5 or 7:00 mile pace, I was under 5:30 in the mile. I don't doubt a sprinter can run a 6:00 mile, but from 6:00 to a sub 5:30 is a huge difference. You must have played soccer or something. There is no way someone can run a 5:30 mile or a 42 minute 10K without training. Even myself, the lowest I ever got in the mile was at a 6:50 from a 7:21 first timed mile because my gym teacher in middle school would make the whole class run 400m after 10 push-ups/sit-ups, and I would always be the one sprinting it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhh... Im not sure how but i run about a 5:15 mile and thats the reason why im switching to middle distance next year from sprinting. I would have done it this year but the distance runners on my team were too good and i would not have scored but i score running on the sprinting team. I dont really have a training program or w/e, i just do wat my coach tells me to albeit if she tells my sprinting to take a 20 min run i come back in 25 or take a 10 min cool down, ill come in 17 and when ever i dont have track for a long time, such as christmas break, i run a like a 40 mile week (give or take 5 miles) so in answer to your question,i used to play soccer but i wasnt good and i quit like 3 years ago. I have been playing baseball since i was 5 and my old coach made us run alot. We would spend an hour every prac just doing conditioning. and i have baseball conditoning 2 nights a week in the winter along with track. Also i guess its just i run hardest during every prac. I spend every prac trying to beat the fastest kid on my team and about half the time i keep u w/ him, a quarter i got blown out and whenever i feel real good, i beat him. Also im not a 100 meter sprinter, im a 400 meter guy.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400, ok. You're the only one I know with those times, I don't know any others so I can convince myself. Maybe 5 minute miles really are natural for 400m runners. If Wariner could do that, then it makes sense. Even if you run the hardest at your practice or do many sprints, keep in mind it's 400m specific only. I'm guessing you just have a highly developed speed/anaerobic side which makes up for everything. It makes sense for a middle distance runner running a sub 50, but it doesn't make sense for a sprinter running a sub 5. Again, I might be wrong, I haven't seen other 400 runners than you have similar mile times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont run a sub 5 mile though. I havent timed myself running a mile in months. Last time i did was a 545 but it involved a quarter mile hill. Also im not really your typical sprinter, i run more then any sprinter on my team. Soon as the snow melts off my track, ill time myself running a mile.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but I say you should go with middle distance running. I dislike sprinting, it's too short and not mental enough for me. I also get impressed more by a sub four mile than a sub 10 second 100m even though "they're the same thing." You make more gains in middle distance running. I can't stand going down by a second each year. That's just my side of the story though.
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you. Im making the switch to middle distance after the outdoor season this year. Soon as the outdoor season ends, im going to start training for middle distance. Ill have about 9 weeks in the summer to train on my own and then an entire cross country season in which to train (my school has a great cross country coach, our boys team went to states last year and did pretty well). Im hoping by then ill have built up enough endurance and such so that i can run the mile and the 800 during indoor. Then after i get used to running those distances during indoor ill be able to run real good during outdoor.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the wording in your first post, but if you can run 45 min at 7 pace, and you get caught up in this race (i.e. you end up running with some pretty fast people, and manage to stay with them), you have a decent chance at breaking 42. 6:45 would be just under 42. If you are saying that you can run 4.25 miles at 7 pace (roughly 30 min), and this is not an all out effort, i.e. a strong tempo run, then I would say no worse than low 42's.
Either way, I would seriously think about getting into the middle distance program NOW. If you, by chance, can run sub 55, you're looking at a 2:05 800 very soon. I will defer to Dan to discuss this further. Very Happy

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing (as usual lately it seems - I will have to find something to argue about haha) with Dan as a first race my thoughts would also be to start out conservatively and if you feel good go for it in the later stages of the race - this may help keep you from going out too fast - its not a 400 but 24.5 of them back to back - that should help Wink
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 56 400 and i think im going to start training with the distance team when outdoor track starts pending approval from my coach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: