Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
How to Start? Tips/Advice anyone???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stacey428
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: How to Start? Tips/Advice anyone??? Reply with quote

I feel really inadiquite writing about this after reading everyone elses posts but I really do need advice. Embarassed
When I was younger I used to love running and I always felt great after a run. I want to start again but I cannot seem to get started. I cannot seem to find my stride; I think it might be my form-can anyone tell me how to find it? Any advice on what to start with or the best time of day to run at? I am a student, so my only options are after school, late at night, or VERY early in the morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are overreacting too early. You need to give it at least a week or two to find your stride again. Even myself as an experienced runner faces the same problem if I haven't ran for a week or two. Do hard long runs of 30 minutes and let the effort sink in over the entire week. Running for 10 minutes does not count (assuming what you did and then stopped) is not enough for the pain or sweat to set in. Push yourself for 30 minutes, and you'll start to notice that you are actually getting an effort out of it. But don't stop there-try to do it over the entire week and then tell us what you think. You're just basically trying to kick your body out of that "lazy state" but instead it combats you by refusing to help you much, therefore you get mentally stressed. Do not quit at all, give it at least a week and make sure you run to the point of exhaustion with sufficient energy for 30 minutes. I hope this hits the spot. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean your actual stride or getting into a routine?

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she just means running relaxed. She was probably able to run better when she was young maybe because she had more phyisical activity (most young kids have).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stacey428
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant running relaxed, yes. If you have any tips about good routines though, I could use them as well!
Thank you for helping, I'll definitly try it!
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just want to be able to run recreationally or competitively? If you're not going for performance then there is no need for intervals/sprints. You can do 30 minute runs at a somewhat easy pace, and alternate from that to 45-60 minute runs done at your comfort pace. So it's 30 minutes uneasy on Monday, and 45-60 minutes very easy on Tuesday for 4-5 days. You can start on any day that you desire. As for the time settings, try all of them and see how it affects your mood. For example, running when it's snowing, or when it's sunny greatly affects your mood. The reason for the 30 minute runs are for at least getting a physical benefit such as toning the muscles, improving performance, and increasing your HDL (good cholestoral). The longer, easy runs are more for your mood-to get away from everything without training your heart out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: