Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
running and the economy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: running and the economy Reply with quote

http://www.runblogrun.com/2008/10/race_report_morgenpost_dresden.html

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very catchy article! What a find, thanks! Pretty interesting about the shoes. Most don't realize that 3 shoes of $40 can be replaced by one at $90. So what does that do to Asics and Mizuno? It puts them out of business, in such a shaky economy people focus on short term rather than long term. On the other hand, I enjoyed reading that article very much-the writer was very deep about running. Running escapes you from everything, but the fact that you're still not the best hinders you. Run very long and slow and experience hightened senses or run really hard and experience a series of flashbacks. During one of my 2000m intervals while undergoing a merciless amount of pain, I remembered myself building that Lego rocket at 10. It has also made me a hothead in a number of ways. But when I do pure aerobic running, it's as if I can taste the smells outside, and when the rain hits and drenches my skin that's when I think to myself "what a true runner really is." Running is especially unique, you don't need to think-instead you allow yourself to be freer physically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running has made me so optimistic, but I also had another thought run through my mind: let's that you're a food clerk at the age of 22. Your parents can't support you financially in any way, and you live with 3, sloppy, drug abusing roomates. You know that you have no way out and you'll have a low salary for the rest of your life (in fact that has to be the condition for every situation like this. You can't start doing business because you lack the knowledge, nor can you think about doing most sports because of expensive sponsorships. So say gymnastics-you need a trainer for that, and a special place to train at. You can't swim because the pool is too far or closed. And you can't bodybuild because it's expensive and something that most people don't want to look like. There are over 60 million Americans that meet these conditions, and only 20 million have a way out with running. All you need to do: train to Olympic levels, pay a cheap fee to any local race and astonish. People won't leave a 3:49 miler that no one knows alone. They say "who is that guy??" And then the word comes to the money gurus. They come to you and ask about previous coaches, colleges, etc. And then boom "Here is my card." It's more to get sponsored this way than a runner who already has a notable status. Some of may ask, "Well how long does something like this take?" About as long as attending a four-year University. No one ignores champions, it just doesn't happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: