Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Nick Symmonds 3:56.72 mile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Kipketer rarely ran the mile. Nick used to run it nearly as much as the 800.

2) 1:41.11 and 1:44.10 are nothing resembling close!

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 second difference, BUT Nick only ran that during Olympic trials. So if he would go for the world record. Not only that, but most 800m experts rarely even run close to 1:44.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He ran that in front of a hugely supportive home crowd, on a perfect day, at possibly the best facility in the country. Those are the most ideal conditions any athlete can ask for.

Quote:
Not only that, but most 800m experts rarely even run close to 1:44.

Huh? 1:44's are just the beginning range of truly elite.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if it was during the finals or a world record attempt, then the athlete would try harder. I thought that 1:44 was like a 3:52 mile where it's uncommon to come close to a 3:46 in the regular race. But I'm a miler and long distance runner I'm not used to understanding 3 seconds is a huge deal and I still have a while until I come close to the human limit, so I should keep my mouth shut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 seconds is still a huge deal in the Mile...

Alan Webb has run 3:46 in the mile ElG 3:43...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hicham ran 3:50 during Pregfntaine Classic. He also ran 3:32 and 3:34 in the 1500m in Athens and Sydney. During the world championships he ran both 1500s in 3:30 and 3:31.

Hicham also had outstanding pace setters during the world record mile, and ran almost all even splits. 2 of them dropped out just for him, and he also had Noah on his back on the 100m stretch. All sub four milers can run the 400 way faster than 55 seconds. Taking 1 second off 3 laps won't have a great effect on endurance or speed, but timing.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing it at that level first and then talk to me.

Yes its a very delicate balance at that point - the mile is such a red-line type of event as is the 800 (even more so in the latter) - you go just enough over that line and bam its over... The trick is knowing where you can push and knowing your body well enough to feel that line...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should attempt breaking my PB more often than doing it once in a while where everytime I end up with ~4 seconds faster just so I can see how hard it is to get those extra seconds off. Anyways, it's not like I ever truly race right now. I'm thinking 3-4 atempts within a week before I start my training sessions.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the world happened to him in the Olympics? I think I saw him for the last time in the semi finals where all 3 medals escaped him. He was in last place throughout the race, except for the final 250m when he started to kick but sadly he couldn't kick past the Kenyans in front. I've noticed that in general, the winners stay in the very front throughout the whole 800. It's not one of those events where you sit back and wait for the moment. Then again I think there is no difference in speed if you lay back in like 5th or 6th place to the runners leading. Maybe it has some disadvantages too because that distance has to be recooperated. And then again the theory of oxygen overflow in the lungs if one starts out too fast. They would generally start with 1-2 seconds faster in the first 100 than everyone else which doesn't impact stamina that much. Theoretically everyone's lungs should overflow with oxygen in the beginning as they get out of their "comfort" state. From this even I had some experiences running very long distances where my legs seem to be ironically more powerful after 6 miles than in the beginning.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the '04 or '72 Olympic Finals and you'll change your mind... There's no one way to run the race. You have to run to your own strengths.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I've seen the 800m final from Athens with the Russian coming up and beating all including Wilson Kipketer. But the thing is that there wasn't too much distance between him and the leader. Nick could've won. He used his best efforts to get past some of the runners but the leaders were ahead by too much. Racing strategy matters a lot, because the women did poorly in the 10K final. It was a nice race but they overall didn't push it.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What!!! Are you talking about the American Women? Shalane broke her own National Record by over 12 sec in conditions that were far from ideal.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was talking about the women's 10K with the Ethiopian and Turkish runners winning. In general, that race was a little slow. It was far from the world record . I would accept 30-40 seconds slower than the world record but they were off by 2 minutes. Even the reporter mentioned it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still don't understand tactical, championship racing, do you?

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand what either of you are talking about. Paul is talking about American women when I was talking about the women's 10K. So the point of that tactical race was for Nick to lose? His tactic was pretty obvious staying in last for a while and then going out at the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: