Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Nick Symmonds 3:56.72 mile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if she's trained mostly for the 400, it would make sense that her time there would be superior to her 800. Just seems to me it's so far superior that it's worth remaining open to that being her best event. I tend to think that girls that young are better suited to endurance than speed, but not knowing anything about her or what she's built like, I don't know if it applies in her case.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Symmonds started running seriously a year or so into high school, as I recall. Hockey was his main sport initially.

AM, that's some great improvement in one race! The big test now is consistency at the new level. I think we've all had those one-hit wonder improvements... Neutral

Dan

Oh thanks, I couldn't find how he started running anywhere. I think that he kind of used running through high school as a form of fun before knowing that he wants to become a professional runner. I guess Americans and Europeans don't have that "instinct" early on to become an astounding runner. Examples of some exceptions would be Jim Ryun, German Fernandez, Steve Prefontaine, Alan Webb, Marti Liquori, and Sydney Maree. Not only that but I also found out Daniel Komen, like Haile, both were running 10 miles everyday to and from school. Although this is probably overrated to say that it made up for most of their gains. Daniel Komen running 10 miles every day to and from school from 8-16 could not have gotten him to even run a sub 6 minute mile by the time he was a freshman. Regardless of that he made world class and better within 4 years of running seriously. Athletes like him could have been just more consistent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that he kind of used running through high school as a form of fun before knowing that he wants to become a professional runner.

I think you're just making stuff up...

Nick was a 9-time State champion in high school and had an extremely competitive mindset.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know I was assuming because how come Komen and Guerrouj run 3:40-range miles at the age of 25 when they both started to run in high school just like Nick, and Nick ran 3:56. Now you can't say there's a small difference between a 3:46 mile and a 3:56 mile, so when we're talking about 4 years with Morceli, Komen, Guerrouj starting to run at the same time as Nick but the difference is 10 seconds, doesn't that raise a question? I'm not assuming this part at all, because if you subtract Komen's, Guerrouj's, etc. date of birth from their PB date in the mile, you get 25 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're making a bunch of questionable assumptions...

1) Many African birth certificates are merely a guess. Ignore ages, as they serve no comparative purpose.

2) What does one person's rate of development have to do with anyone else's?

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious to find out why that one individual is a better runner than the other through looking at their training, etc. I want to know if "I" canbe an astounding runner within 4 years. Comparing and contrasting runners; I'm trying to find out the most efficient ways.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never get anywhere by looking at individuals that way. Training alone is just one very small piece of the puzzle. Talent is a far larger component, and that is nearly impossible to measure. Yet, you're ignoring that piece and looking for answers in the training alone. Sorry, but it's a waste of time the way you're approaching it.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be too many Africans that have talent then. But wait, Nick's PB in the 800 is close to the world record. I think that if he aimed for it he could make it. Wilson Kipketer's PB in the mile is a 3:59.57, and for the 1500m it's 3:42.80. Nick does have a talent, but that's for the 800m only. When you look at Wilson's training it's mostly made upof small intervals 60-800m. The distance running he does is probably just a 1 hour easy run which doesn't substitute for 1 hour at 5:00/mile pace. There's a catch here, a 3:56 mile as PB isn't all that good, but when his 800m PB is astounding, that definatley means he's not extraordinary at distance running. We can probably tell from other tests if he were to run 5K and 10K, and possibly a marathon. There is not one 12 minute 5K runner out there that can't run a 3:40-range mile other than Alan Webb.

Let's also look at Nick's Physiology. He clearly has the body of an 800m runner http://www.nicksymmonds.com/Symmonds_Nick-Osaka07.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01fC89tfi3aiQ/340x.jpg
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot with talent but you also in this case never hear about all the ones that have been sloughed off as fodder through their systems.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Just because one person succeeds doesn't mean their way of getting there is best for everyone.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training like Bekele, Hicham, or not, his 800 is superb, and he only ran that time during his heat for the Olympics. Even if he did train like Komen, Haile, etc. his real talent is in the 800.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you don't know how he trains or what his real talent is... And he has run similar times on more than the one occasion. Nick's 1500 was nearly as good as his 800 in college, but he hasn't focused on it since.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be very interesting to see how he does in Beijing - possibly looking like that last Iaaf Meet with Borza and Kamel down the home straight... Add Symmonds Kaki and so many other this race just looks primed to explode this year... Oh boy the Olympics Start today!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing left for Nick to prove is that he can maintain contact in a 1:42 to 1:43 race and still summon his kick...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be an awesome sight if he breaks the world record during the Olympics though. Wilson Kipketer's personal best in the mile is a 3:59, and Nick's is slightly faster than that, but both have very close 800m times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: