Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Injured Newbie Running SF Marathon to Raise Money For Cancer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristianF
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Injured Newbie Running SF Marathon to Raise Money For Cancer Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am newbie who has never run a marathon before. I have been training for five months and , although still recovering from injury, this Sunday I will be running in the San Francisco Marathon to help raise money for breast cancer research. What might surprise you is that this is only my second day of fund raising.

What took me so long?
In May, three months into my training and while running hills, I injured my left knee so severely that I had to stop training for two months. Not sure that I would be able to finish, I told only a few people that I planned to run San Francisco this weekend, but honestly I wasn't sure I would be healthy enough to do it. Now with one last short run before Sunday to go, the knee is not perfect, but I will finish.

We're Not Talking Beijing Material Here...
Anyone who has actually seen me run might describe my running style as "a tone deaf, sweaty turtle that has lost his way", but before the injury I was on target to run SF in under 4 hours. Now, still recovering, my goal is to finish whether running or walking (and hopefully not limping). My stretch goal is to finish in under 4:30.

So if Gimpy, Why Run?
I am running in the hope that someday fighting cancer will be easier than it is today. For my mom, a 17 year survivor of breast cancer and a 6 year survivor of lung cancer, for my wife's mom, a 2 year survivor of breast cancer and for the other moms & families that I've come to know who are fighting cancer. Even injured, the pain I may experience is small compared to the pain that patients and their families must endure as they go through multiple rounds of chemotherapy over many years today to survive cancer. In addition to helping out a good cause, running one (and only one) marathon has been on my Ultimate To Do List for a while.

This is Where You Come In
So whether you want to support a great cause or you have a slightly morbid curiosity and want to keep me honest, come out and support me by donating online by clicking https://secure2.merchantcart.net/runsfm/MyWebPage.cfm?pid=312134
Any amount or even just well wishes are appreciated. For those interested, you can track my results through www.runsfm.com/race/results-awards.html My bib number is 5225 and my marathon results will also be posted on Nike+ on Thursday through my public username: CFforLD77. Thanks for any support and encouragement you can lend.

Sincerely,

Christian
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, and show them which turtle is boss!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: