Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
SEX before a race - does it work for you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minx
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: SEX before a race - does it work for you? Reply with quote

I read an interesting article that said that sex before a race is good for women and bad for men. How does it work? Does sex before running affect your performance in a race? I don't have any problems, and husband sometimes insists on sex before a big race! Are we alone, or are there runners who don't believe in doing it the night before?
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often heard of boxers abstaining during training but I'm not sure how it would relate to racing.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus and energy preservation are the commonly given reasons.

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... it must lower testosterone which can in turn lower confidence... which may bad for the day before the race.

Which leads me to a question, is sex bad for training? Can it hinder one from improving (if done too often?)
Minx
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Runnerd do it better Reply with quote

Fitter people can go stronger for longer - that's a fact. Exercise definitely has a positive impact on libido, but is true of the other way around? Can more sex make you a better runner? Isn't it just over-training that causes a slump in libido?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a scientific survey, but here is my view ...

Sexc for men does weaken you temporaily ... Now having sex the night before leaves you with a full nights sleep to "rejuvenate" yourself ... And if the competition is not until mid afternoon or early evening - as most track competitions are run - then I see no problem as long as one would follow their normal routine prior to competition ... Could even be used to "relax" the night before and ensure a solid nights sleep ...

Now ... Doing so right before a competition (as within hours) might not be the best thing ... As now, your recuperation time is not there ... Not to mention the memntal aspects (is this the thing now on your mind instead of solid focus on the competition ahead) ...

Just some of my own thoughts ...
rundog
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: my thoughts Reply with quote

I agree with Conway that it probably has to due somewhat with recouperation time. You don't want to do this right before a race but I see no reason why not the night before. In my book anytime is a good time. Very Happy

Here's a thought. I know that when I have "build up" I tend to get antsy almost like cabin fever. This causes me to motivate to go out to find girls or to do something physical to burn off the energy. So maybe people who train like boxers use this extra energy to devote to their training. Unfortunately the focus for me would start to fade because after a while I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about lovely ladies. Living on the beach in Southern California doesn't help when I walk outside.

There's my two cents.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was at least three cents. Smile

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious... where did you find this article?
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but that's like eating dessert before dinner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: