Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
What would happen if...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: What would happen if... Reply with quote

If I combined Asafa Powell's training with Hicham El Guerrouj's training program, would that be affective? Would the strength workouts of Asafa slow me down in sprinting? If Asafa's best 400m was 47 seconds or around in the 40 second range. With the middle distance added, would it be possible to run a mile averaging around 49 seconds a lap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally different energy systems. It's fun to think about, but it has very little bearing on reality.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to combine the energy system of a sprinter, and a middle distance runner? On brianmac, it said that all energy pathways must be developed for a middle distance runner, the reason Hicham, and others aren't able to run 40 sec ond 400s is because they lack the speed of a sprinter. I already do sprints of 100m in my "power" workout, but if I included a workout specially made for sprinters in the 400 it might work. I do intervals of 400, but those improve the mile itself. I do sprints of 100m, but those only improve speed. Maybe if I did intervals of 200m specifically for improving my 400, I could improve my mile even more. I was also thinking of adding some new weight training excersises such as benching, military press with dumbells arm swings, then power cleans, all 3 made specifically for strength instead of doing like 300 reps like I do for my abs. I will also add a secondary "strength" workout for my calves, and thighs 3 sets of 12 after 4x16 (for endurance.) We'll see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have to develop speed and endurance to be a good mid-distance runner, but that isn't the same thing as the raw power required to be an elite sprinter. Strength and aerobic work hinder each other in the development process... Finding the perfect balance between the two is all about compromise.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is the science between strength and aerobic power in muscles?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're joking, right? Shocked That topic is so broad, you could study it for 6 years and not come up with a comprehensive answer.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I have noticed that sprinters are more "buff" than middle distance runners (obviously). You have mentioned that aerobic workouts will prevent muscle gain, which is why distance runners are skinny, but can you gain strength without building big muscles? Or is there a limit to how much strength one can gain along with aerobic training? In other words, once you reach a peak in strength along with aerobic training, you need to stop aerobic training if the individual wants to gain even more strength?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goal is always the most strength with the least weight, i.e. a better strength to weight ratio. However, aerobic work develops efficiency more than strength, and the strength it does develop is mostly of the slow twitch variety, which is of little help for sprinting.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then you can include fast intervals to develop the fast twitch fibers too, but it is not possible to have 80% fast twitch muscles and be a 3 minute miler is it? I have also taken 3 days off from running because of all the high intensity excercises I have been doing, and this morning at 5:00 a.m. I went to run, but my legs could barely move I felt like a worm, and after 300 meters I got a side stitch, and went into exhaustion. I stopped running and I rested for around 2 minutes, and got back to running, it took a few tries before I could start to jog non stop, but then the side stitch kept coming back, and it was impossible to get rid of it. In the morning I haven't ingested any form of dairy, except for 8 french sticks and some water. I see 20-40 year old joggers everyday, and I absoluptely cant see how they never get side stitches, and yet they aren't performance runners, and they run around 10 miles.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my legs to be funtional again.

I have intervals of 4x800, and 8x400, should I put in 10x200 to aid in my 400 intervals, and overall?

When I run my workouts of 30 minutes non-stop jogging, what time would you reccomend jogging each 300 meters in for 30 minutes non-stop with a mile time of 4:48 for a performance aerobic run, not the kind that's for losing weight.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally found a way to get more effective interval workouts during the afternoon, and I think I know why I am worse at doing them in the afternoon. Every single time towards the end of a long distance run my legs feel very fast, and I sprint like crazy towards the end like I am flying. Yet in the afternoon, when I do my intervals they are simply embarassing. During the morning, I don't do any warm-ups, I just feel fast, it must be because the muscles turn stiff, and allow for a more "elastic type power." The more stiff a rubebr band is, the more power it will have when letting go after it is pulled back. The more flexible it is, it won't have much power when it is released. Now after walking a lot during the day, my muscles are very warm and flexible thus allowing smooth runs, but not "speedy" ones. I have found that over the summer I literally sat in the same place for 6 hours after I ran in the morning at the computer. Then when I did my intervals in the afternoon, my muscles felt stiff, but the results were amazing. In order to try to "stiffen" the muscles, and adjust them I came up with a solution. The solution is to do an intense 1 mile workout run with 20 pounds of weights attached to the legs and arms. After I took them off, I was able to "fly" during my intervals, and I pretty much achieved my 800 intervals at a time of 2:10 rather than a 3:00. When muscles are all flexible, they seem wobbly, and they do not contract as well to allow for a greater elastic drive, or movement. Maybe I should try those with my 400s wonder what my times will be from 1:07 Shocked Imagine having 2 twigs and a flexible rubber band. When you put the rubber band on the sticks and you pull the sticks apart say 12 inches, and release, the sticks will come towards eachother, and maybe hit. Now if you twist that rubber band to make it twice as small, and you put it on the two sticks, and you pull the sticks 12 inches apart, then release, they will come back at eachother with twice as much force. I have also observed that when stress is apllied on muscles just before a sprint such as doing squats, it feels faster when you run. This is because the muscles are forced to contract harder, which gives them the feeling of being "stiff." The reason that the same feeling is felt on a track without having to run with weights for example, is because it is specially made to give muscles that feeling of "bounciness" when running, and also the curves of the track enforce that even more. I have never felt sluggish on a track, but I have on hard cement, and grass. As you can all see, most elite athletes run their 1000m intervals in 2:30.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am wrong, or it is something else, in the morning and night my intervals seem fast, smooth, etc. But the afternoon is what is killing me, I tried to warm up by doing 3x10 quick squats, dynamic stretches, static stretches, etc. It does feel like I am running fast, but somehow "magically" for example the time for an 800 meter interval was 2:30 instead of 2:20 or 2:10. I use my ipod to time myself, and make an estimate of around 4 seconds for random errors. If I just kept it consistent and ran exactly 16 seconds for every 100m it just might work. Another factor could be that I am kind of holding back the first 400m to not start going out like a fool then get tired at 600m through the 800m. Besides all that I look at my legs, and my stride length as I run and they all seem so small.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: