Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Cold Weather Running/Gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slipknot
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Cold Weather Running/Gear Reply with quote

I live in NewJersey and mainly like running outside, (the treadmill just gets too boreing for me) and this winter I've been lucky since its been very warm. But today it was downright nasty cold and windy outside. I ran my normal 4 miles but even after warming up, I was still pretty damn cold. I wore shorts, and underarmor shirt and a t shirt above that. Does anyone suggest any good running gear that will keep me comfortable dureing windy and cold conditions. I dont wana have to run in anything too bulky.

Also since its so cold outside, is it ok to run in these conditions? I havent actually heard of anyone have problems running in cold weather, but then again I havent looked it up either. Thanks for the input.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real problems are not dressing warm enough (takes pretty severe temp's for that to be a lasting issue) and falling on slippery stuff and hurting yourself.

In my opinion, Under Armour is more trendy than functional. It's just glorified spandex. Get something with some real thickness to it; cotton, poly, or one of the newer high tech materials that won't chaffe. Many of them will cost less than UA. I'm a big fan of SportHill, but all the running apparel companies have something comparable.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be some good after Christmas sales going on in the running stores. The high tech stuff these days is not bulky at all. Look for tops with a half zip front so if you get too warm you can ventilate better. Gear and shoes are getting so trendy, now, that a style will last a year and then go on a 50% discount. No change in the fabric! A lot of online stores are running sales, also. Get used to layering. A tank top with 2 thin long sleeve shirts can work quite well.
I can be seen wearing long tops and bottoms until the temp reaches 70. Another long standing joke between Dan and I: I don't recognize him if he's not wearing shorts, no matter if the temp is in the teens, and he doesn't recognize me unless he sees me in long pants. And of course my signature small towel. Laughing

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days, I'm going to find the perfect microfiber hand towel for you...

Layering, ah yes. As Paul can attest, I'm a big fan of that method myself. It was just this weekend that I was seen wearing no less than 5 jackets at once. I had a hard time reaching over to grab the seatbelt.

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat loss is greatest around the head.

Your mother was right. Wear a hat when you go out into the snow. It'll help keep your ears from getting frostbitten.

A good pair of gloves is essential too. If you got one a pair of those really bulky gloves, you can attach your watch around the middle and ring fingers rather than your wrist. That way you won't have to dig for your watch
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on hats and gloves:

I can't wear a hat for more than 5 minutes of running in all but the coldest of weather. Otherwise, I feel like I'm in a sauna. Headbands /ear warmers are a good idea, although I've never felt compelled to try them. Your head is conditioned to handle the cold. Ever wake up on a cold morning and feel perfectly comfortable ... until you move an arm out from under the blankets? There's a reason why your face isn't cold.

Very little is needed in the way of gloves. A thin cotton pair will work just fine for most weather. All you need is a small layer to trap the warmth in. Even as they get wet, they'll stay pretty warm.

Dan
Slipknot
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its in the 20s now in the good ole armpit of america New Jersey, and I havent ran outside in a week. Iam forced to run inside on my treadmill and I can only run 3 miles before I get so f'ing bored that I lose all interest in running at all. Pray for an early spring. Oh and by the way, iam a big baseball fan, and spring training is only 20 days away!! go Phillies
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that term only applied to Pittsburgh? Confused

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyester is king
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: