Training Talk
Paul owes us a training update...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was a very light 4 miles at a XC invitational that Dan's team was participating in. That put me at 51 for thwe week.

Sunday, after a 50 min weightlifting session, I went to the Sellwood Bridge bike path with the idea of running alternate 1/2 miles at 3:30 and 4:00. It was already getting dark and had cooled to about 65 deg, no wind. Very nice conditions. I took splits, but I couldn't really read my watch, so the workout was based on feel. I did 3:32 3:59 3:33 4:08 3:37 4:09 3:32 3:59 3:32 3:57 3:31 3:56. At no time was I really breathing hard. Total time for the main w/o was 6 miles in 45:25. I am really feeling comfortable cruising at 7:00 per mile. I think in a race situation I could cover well over 8 miles in an hour.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say I can't believe you remembered that comment of mine, but then I remembered you have an apparent photographic memory...

Great controlled workout yesterday. Thumbs Up You'll have to call that your 33/40 workout...

Weather should be good this weekend, so let's hope you find another steady pack to settle in with.

Where's 51 sit on your peak mileage chart?

Did you see the time Thomas' 82 year old grandma ran for the 5k? I was expecting something close to an hour, but she ran it in 36 and change on a super slow course!

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No photographic memory, that was just a great line. Laughing
Thomas' grandmother's time wasn't that much slower than Maria! Shocked
And maybe she was just rising to the occasion. Yesterday was Grandparents' Day. Very Happy

Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned Grandma running 36 and change. If Grandma ran a 36:30 for 5K at 82 years old then that age grades to 18:59 and a percentage rank of 77.9%

80% is considered a National Class time so my hat is off to her. If any of you have the opportunity to congratulate her please express my congratulations too. She is my hero.

Paul, are you racing this weekend. Good luck if you are.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She is my hero.

Oddly, that's exactly what the meet organizers said to her. Smile

18:59, huh? Her grandson will be happy to know his 18:28 still rules the family! I'm not sure if I had the results available at the time, and I can't rcall where I got the "36 and change" from, but the official time is 36:57. That's a lot of change ... but keep in mind it was a rather slow course, with ~20:00 times being about a minute slower than a fairly typical XC course.

Paul's racing the 10k tomorrow. With any luck, he'll have time to make it over to our race afterward and give me a report, since I know he'll put off posting it himself. Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you can just feel the love here... Laughing

Well, I wanted to wait until the results were officially posted. I ran 43:10, 21st out of 110 runners, 2nd in the 55-59 class. Last year I ran 42:10. I was kind of bummed, because I felt I was in great shape to run better this year. I got to the race with plenty of time to warm up. I am lighter than I've been in 35 years. So I've been struggling to figure out what I could have done to better equip myself for this race. I don't think its been the training. That's been solid for the last 4 months. Dan felt there must have been something about last year's race that factored into such a good time. Last year's race was run on the same course, only backwards. I ended up back at the course map and realized I had completely underestimated the difficulty of the course from mile 1 to mile 5. That uphill segment is only about 0.5% total climb. Mile 1 to mile 3.5 is about 0.65%. I didn't think much of that until I went to an effort based treadmill chart. The difference on the chart from 0% to 1% is 13-15 secs per mile. I was surprised at that!
Last year we started out from the Start point, but did the big loop clockwise instead of counterclockwise. I was darn pleased with myself because I was running in a small group and we were clicking off 6:45 miles most of the way. Going down that long mild downhill was really only worth 6:52 to maybe 6:55 effort, when I look back on it. Plus we were at the apex of the course within the 1st half mile when we were still fresh. This year, running the same 6:52 effort would compute to over 7:00 since we were also fighting a wind for the 1st two miles.
My 43:10 still represents my 2nd best 10K, and is a major step in the right direction from the 10K earlier this year in 44:19.

Here's the course map with the elevation map:

http://www.mtangel.net/~matthew/map.html

Dan, do you think this makes any logical sense, or am I grasping at straws here.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this year you were finishing up that hill that you started out going down last year? While the net elevation change is the same, I could see that affecting things. Working a long uphill once fatigue is setting in isn't easy.

How did the mile splits look for that segment (going up) compared to last year's closing miles?

It's possible you just got lulled to sleep on the pacing, thinking matching last year's opening splits would get you to the same ballpark, not realizing you would have to work harder later.

I assume you ruled out watch calibration issues?

I still say something was peculiar about last year's performance. It was barely double your best 5k, which means you ran well beyond your regular level or the course was funky.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a real good effort Paul. As far as the differences from last year go, there could be 1,001 different things to effect that. The difference in the hills, weather, nutrition, rest, even things that you don't notice going on with your body.

Have you age graded your time? I would think it will come out pretty good.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job Paul glad to see you still out there hammering away - as to why the time was different that course could have something to do with it for sure looking at the course I would say that last years direction would certainly have favored a better time that whole middle section seems to tren more down than up and only slightly which in my head would look quicker... The hills look tough though sounds like a great race

it reminded me of a race I am considering running tomorrow

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/mbrun/Challenge_map.pdf

either that or a half on Sunday not sure which I will do yet
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM, that elevation map of your course is a lot tougher than what I ran.
Dan, my thought is still that the middle portion of the race plus the breeze that we faced, could cause a full minute in time difference. But I would also say that I lost heart as the race progressed when I realized that I wasn't going to beat last year's time. So some of it was a poor gut showing on my part.
Two Fridays ago I did a tempo run on the Sellwood bike path in the early evening. It was windier than normal. I started out into the wind and averaged about 7:52 per mile. Coming back I was at 7:39. Effort was about the same. Total distance of the tempo was 6.5 miles.

AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a crazy race but I had at one point my 10K PR on it which is a little nuts but mor etelling that I had not run too many...

the final mile though is just a screamer down hill
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Consistency This Year... Reply with quote

Race Report:

AC Gilbert 5K in Dan's neck of the woods. 20:39 - 21st out of 190 and 3rd in the 55-59 age division. Went out too fast in 6:26, then hit 6:45 and 6:48. A flat course except for a short hill at the beginning of the 3rd mile. The day started out quite chilly at below 40 deg. It warmed up enough to be pleasant by the time we hit our 9:30 start time.
This race time is in line with what my 10K was and my XC times this Summer. One interesting side note: my age group class is tough in this area. We had our 1st three runners finish before any other age group's top three runners, men or women.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sneaky devil didn't even tell me he was in town... I had a day off from team activities, too!

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I proudly wore my McKay long sleeve tee during warmups and cooldown.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well all is forgiven then!

How'd the knee feel?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: