Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
I've been looking all over the place...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usaf07
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: I've been looking all over the place... Reply with quote

...Okay, maybe not ALL over the place, but this looks like the best place for me to go. Smile

Hi, I'm Josh, I'm 21 (for the next half a month or so), and just recently I enlisted in the US Air Force. I don't depart for Basic Training until after Christmas (although I am thinking of asking my recruiter to move that date up to around October if possible), but I've got a couple of concerns that maybe you guys can help me out with.

First of all, I understand that the Air Force is widely considered the least physical of the military branches, excluding the Coast Guard perhaps, since the Army and Marines are the ones who do all the major grunt work. However, even if this may be the case, I'm not the most proficient runner. I was an excellent sprinter back when I used to compete, but whenever it came to distance running, I struggled to even run 400 meters without killing myself. Seeing as how I haven't done any running for years now, I don't think I've improved any in the meantime.

Running is obviously a big part of military training, and there's even a point shortly before Basic Training graduation where all recruits have to do a mandatory 2.5 mile run in order to graduate. Obviously, if I struggle with 400 meters, 2 1/2 miles seems very intimidating for me.

I was wondering if anybody has any tips for how I can prepare myself for training, or at least get myself more accustomed to distance running so that I don't go a few hundred meters and then feel like my legs are going to fall off. I'm open to any suggestions anyone can think of. I've got a stationary bike, a regular ten-speed bike, one of those Gazelle exersize things (it was free, so I took it), and the local school's football field and track nearby.

I'm also on AOL Instant Messenger, so if you'd like to talk there, my screen name is "agcn ahl"

Thanks for your help!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously, if I struggle with 400 meters, 2 1/2 miles seems very intimidating for me.

First, don't think of it as a race. Sprinters who fear the 400 do so because they're trying to run flat-out for the whole distance, which very few can manage. Once you move up to half mile and beyond, the key is to learn pacing, which means training for that distance and learning how fast you can go without burning out, i.e. just the opposite of your current perspective. Wink

Just get out there and do some easy jogging, mixing in walk breaks if need be, and slowly extend the duration you can run for. Once you can comfortably run 3-4 miles without stopping, you can begin picking up the pace.

Dan
usaf07
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I don't think of it as a race. Smile The 400 I ran, I paced myself with the rest of the pack, but when it came down to the final stretch I was beat and it was a struggle to keep my original speed up. I dropped several places in just the last leg.

Quote:
Just get out there and do some easy jogging, mixing in walk breaks if need be, and slowly extend the duration you can run for. Once you can comfortably run 3-4 miles without stopping, you can begin picking up the pace.

Thanks for that, though. It's very much appreciated. I'll give it a try next time I'm out running. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 400 I ran, I paced myself with the rest of the pack

I hate to break it to you, but that's a race... If you couldn't maintain speed at the end, you were most definitely racing. It may seem trivial, but understanding and accepting the distinction is an important first step in training for the longer stuff.

Dan
usaf07
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just saying I didn't run flat-out for the whole distance as you suggested sprinters do, but either way, that's a moot point. Cool
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you talk about losing places and such it certainly sounds like a race but no matter....

Just relax and take it a lap at a time - just leave the watch at home and take a relaxing jog around the track followed by another - if you need a break especially at first just take it. Work your way up to not needing it. The key is to just get out there and do it. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as the folks here do!
usaf07
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any time you talk about losing places and such it certainly sounds like a race but no matter....

Well of course THAT was a race, haha! I was referring to the 2.5-mile run at the end of Basic Training. I then went on to talk about the 400 I ran as a completely different story. My bad, I think everybody confused everybody else on this. Confused

Thanks for the advice, though, I appreciate it. I did fairly good during my run last night (well, fairly good by my standards), so I'm looking forward to gradually getting better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: