Distance Den
Regina Jacobs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the logical counter-argument that disproves the equally logical argument. Smile I guess now would be a good time to use the old line, 47.7% of statistics are meaningless...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really just a matter of how you use them .. Smile .. But would be nice to see the likes of say Crain, Drossin, and Schwald training together .. Could create some competition for the foreigners ... Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought a Powerball ticket for the first time last week, narrowly missing the jackpot -- missed two numbers by one each and biffed the other four... If I won, I of course would have immediately funded a team of some sort. Smile Oh well, hold the applications...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but there in Oregon - the home of distance running - and the corporate hadquarters for NIKE, couldn't we squeeze enoughout of the mother load to get some top flight talent to relocate and become great !!!!!!!!! LOL ... Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many have tried it, but most have moved away of late because the allergens are too bad in the area. Sad

Until running becomes a big money sport (yeah, right), I doubt the shoe companies will do much more than sponsor high profile individuals. Nike is the popular one to pick on because of their size, but I don't see the others doing much better, with the possible exception of New Balance. adidas is notorious for making promises and not following through, which I guess keeps them just below the public radar of not caring about the little guys...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have always thought that the high profile athletes should be the center of track clubs/groups .. Would help all ocncerned .. For example you get Nike (or whomever) to sponsor a Jacobs lead group in the Stanford area .. That group would have Regina and say Chryste Gaines (who also resides in the area) as their core, with several young up and comers in the fold ...

I know a pipe dream .. But would be a formula that would work .. Would benefit current stars .. PRovide great training oppotunities for the next in line .. And would keep the shoe companies in the face of the public in a positive way ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a lot like the way I understand the European club system to work, where elite athletes are the pride of the local club.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then maybe I'm not so far off .. Smile .. Might even help create some type of regional loyalties for some athletes/clubs .. We all know track needs some kind of boost in this country .. And I do think that some form of "teams" is the way to go since we seem to be so team sport oriented .. People seem to have a need to have someone/something to root for ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: