Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
New runner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this question Saturday, but I guess it wasn't posted. Anway....here goes again.

I am an avid speed walker and decided recently to start running, as it burns more calories, and I need a new focus. I walked 3.5 miles/day, and am attempting to run that much. I now run for 2-3 blocks at a time and stop for about a block, because I am out of breath. I have built myself up, in one weeks time to 5 intervals of running for 3.5 miles. Is this a good way to start and continue until I can finally run the full 3.5 miles?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the no-post was a one time problem.

I don't see anything wrong with the approach you are taking to getting accustomed to running. It's sore of like speed interval training, just without the inensity. Within a few weeks, you'll probably be able to significantly increase the distance you go between rest breaks.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a running test for my job in 3 weeks. The test is a two mile run. to pass i need to do it in 16 min. Right now im doing it in 18 min. Any advice to take off two min. in three weeks. Also any good supplements to take to decrease my time. Im basically a non runner, but i workout with weights and play hockey. Thank you!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'mitch']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mitch,

Two minutes in 3 weeks is a pretty tall order! The only real way to improve that much in that short of a time is to train your butt off until then, but that brings on two risks: 1) injury, 2) fatigue. You'll probably be best off training as hard as your body will allow (that too will be difficult if you haven't done much running) for two weeks, then take it easy the last week so you are recovered for the run. The good news is that it's easiest to take off time when you're not in top shape. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also say that I don't know of any suplements that will help you that immediately, nor would I trust anything that claimed to.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I just started running last week. I am 15 years old and am entering my first 5K in October. Smile I had been walking this summer and had been following the Protein Power Eating plan for weight loss (I'm also a vegetarian). I am 5'4 and had gotten down to 117.5 pounds. I guess that I assumed by running I would be able to continue to lose weight but instead my weight has gone up! Is there a reason for this? Also, should I be eating differently since I have started running? I would really like to continue to lose weight. Thanks for your input!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tarah']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tarah,

It's fairly common for people to gain weight when running, due to increased muscle mass. This is largely why people often say that lean muscle mass is the best indication of fitness -- better than weight or even body fat percentage. Keep in mind that, although running will burn fat, muscle weighs more than fat. I believe you should eat for energy, not for weight. Whether or not you should change your eating due to running depends on how you currently eat and if you experience problems as a result. Lots of runners are vegetarians, so there needn't be any problem there.

Best of luck in your up-coming race.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: