Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Competition to running in US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure seems to.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making sure I understood. That's a good point though, I agree.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is maybe some truth to the idea about the recreational and the elite being combined in one event. But a lot of people will say that is one of the things that makes running unique. You can't play a baseball game with Cal Ripken or a football game with NFL stars but you CAN line up in the same race with the best in the world. Of course you can't stay with them, but still, I remember feeling a little different in a race in Savannah years ago when I saw Benji Durden in the lead on the return leg of the out and back course. Just the idea of competing in the same event with an Olympian was pretty neat. I've also had the opportunity to run in a couple of small local races with Olympic trials runners. Of course I did not run with them for very far after the gun went off but it was fun just to be around them before and after the races. Maybe I am too easily impressed but that was pretty special for me. Mass participation is good for our sport in a lot of ways, and as I said on a previous post...it doesn't stop our best from doing the training that will make them the best in the world!
Micah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a lot of people will say that is one of the things that makes running unique.

My point exactly. Wink

I do agree with you, though, that it's a real treat to see the stars of the sport at the same competition you're attending. However, I would guess we are different from the majority of participants in that respect.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: