Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Anybody Racing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what programming language did u write this site with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until recently, it was mostly shtml and cgi, but I've changed most of the non-link directory pages over to PHP, as that's what I do all my programming work in.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I'm posting anonymous again because I tried the password you sent and I got a message saying it was wrong. But anyway my last race was spring of 2000 at the Georgia Masters T&F Champs. I won the 40-44 age group 5,000 race. Of course, honesty compels me to admit that I only had one competitor in my age group and I won with a "blazing" 7:35 pace. But it was a lot of fun and we had a barrel of laughs. Stress fractures have kept me off the starting line since then but I'm hoping to rehab and train through the fall and winter and then start racing again in early 2002. I am pretty much a typical mid packer trying to get the weight and times lower. Every now and then I have a goood day at a small race and pick up an age group medal. That is what makes it all worth while for me!
Micah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm posting anonymous again because I tried the password you sent and I got a message saying it was wrong.

Hmm, that shouldn't be happening... I tested it on a dummy account and the lost password page worked fine for me. I take it you requested a new one on the following page:

http://run-down.com/forum/sendpassword.php

Yeah, I see that you requested the new password, so it didn't take for some reason... One thing I haven't tested is whether usernames with a space in them work for the password request. If you like, you can send me an email at dan@run-down.com with youre preferred password and I'll set it up for you.

Back to the subject... Your racing dry spell is significantly shorter in duration than mine. Smile Some of those youth/state/masters meets can be good confidence boosters with the small size of fields. Unless of course, there's a real ringer that makes the other 1-2 people in the race look silly...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about those small races where the competition isn't so great is that it gives some of us a chance to feel what it is like to run in the lead pack. A couple of years ago I ran a 5 mile cross country race as part of the Georgia Fire and Police Games. It is an "Olympic" type collection of sporting events limited to fire fighters and law enforcement. We had about 25 in the race and after the first mile I was in a pack of 5 fighting for 3rd place. We were in a hilly park in the Atlanta suburbs so I started surging on each hill and holding steady on the flats and downhills. I have no kick so I was trying to drop the competition on the uphills. Over the course of the next few miles it worked and with less than a mile to go I only had one other runner with me. We watched the second place guy just ahead of us take a wrong turn and even though we yelled at him he was not able to get back on track and catch up with us. So now with about a half mile to go I was fighting for second. I made my last big surge on a 50 yard uphill and had a one step lead as we went over the top and started down with about 200 yards to the finish. The other guy passed me and we were running flat out with him one step ahead and not being able to pull away and me not being able to close the gap and that is the way we finished. It was exciting, intense and fun! Even if it was all done at just under 7:30 pace!
Micah
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for the guy that took a wrong turn Sad

Does anybody else notice that after a race you feel like you're doing to die, but then an hour later you don't think it was all that bad? But then the next time you run, you think to yourself "what the heck was I thinking". This happens to me all the time, and I guess it's a good thing, it would be hard to get motivated if all you could remember was the pain.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the toughness I often refer to -- the ability to block out the pain and convince yourself that it's only temporary. Obviously, not an easy thing to do.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried thinking that the faster I run, the faster it'll be over. But that doesn't seem to work Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: