Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Kenya should take Samuel Wanjiru from Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: KEN-dunce-YA Reply with quote

The federation can't be that blind to not know what the problem is with their athletes. The average salary in Kenyan is less than $500 a year (US) and therefore the athletes aren't the average citizen and Kenya needs to address that isssue. The fleet of feet Kenyan citizens are a resource that the Federation could use to make money and reward its talented upcomers and veterans. The thought of that mostly likely not only hurt the Kenyan Federation's head but surely makes their pockets cringes as well.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting example today at the Oslo GP of the differing preparations of the Kenyans and Ethiopians. The E's have been winning all the big races of late, with their superior top tier talent. But today in the men's 5k, the K's took 7 of the top 8 spots with no notable E's in attendance, with the World Championships just around the corner.

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: just as amazing as Kenenisa Bekele 26:17.53 Reply with quote

After Wanjiru smashed the World Junior Record by an amazing 23 seconds, become the first junior under 27 minutes, and the eleventh (11th) fastest 10000m performer ever I now say leave Samuel in Japan.
The training he is doing is obviously working; however, Kenya should attempt to get Samuel to compete in the Trials for the upcoming Major Championships.

I know the Kenyan Federation is kicking itself for not attempting to bring the junior home for the World Championships Kenya Trials. 26:41.75 by an athlete who has yet to turn 19 until November!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad I've got him on my Fantasy roster ... I didn't even notice him in the entry lists and he hadn't scored yet this year. Amazing performance for the supposed age.

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Wanjiru's got Kenya's attention in 2004 especially Samuel Reply with quote

The two young Wanjiru's defintely got Kenya's attention in not including them on the World Championship roster.

Veronica Wanjiru (15 yrs old)
15:13.1 (A)
and easy World Youth 3000m Champion with a nice kick

Samuel Wanjiru (18 yrs old)
26:41. 75.....WJR
58:16...........WORLD RECORD and WJR: 11 Sept 05

Yes the teenager ran a world best for the 1/2 marathon today in Rotterdam winning easily as noone was in sight as he crossed the finish line. He will run his marathon debut later this year (WHAT DO YOU THINK HE WILL RUN)?

I hate to see such talent focus on the marathon so early when he has just as much talent in the 10000m.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speechless. I honestly don't know what to say about that performance.

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: What is Kenya's problem Reply with quote

Kenya Federation should be contacting the Japanese club Samuel Wanjiru is training at and try to establish some communication with his coach. Samuel Wanjiru is obviously their best hope against the Ethiopians in the 10000m as he will get stronger as he ages (unless he is injuried). The prospect of an 18 yr running the marathon and no doubt sub 2:07 pace or faster isn't ideal.

The chief thing the Kenya Federation needs to be concerned with is not Japan's training methods as they are doing wonders for Samuel Wanjiru. The thought of injury is the major concern:

1) He may very well run the marathon and do outstanding and not be injuried.

or

2) The training and racing the 26.2 miles at his age could create a chain of injuires. The Japanese should allow him to turn 20-21 before injecting him into the marathon. How long do elite teenagers who run the marathon last in the sport without injuries?

Samuel Wanjiru has too much talent in the 10000m (medal possiblities) to RISK gambling with the marathon when its proven growing bodies and the marathon don't mix very well for very long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: