Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
new goodies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: new goodies Reply with quote

Ok, check out the new additions:

http://run-down.com/fantasy/

You can now view top overall performing athletes, with the list sortable by total score, purchase price, or score/price ratio (the last being the most meaningful). You can also narrow the display down to each contested event, giving a nice way to compare how the various available athletes have performed.

The overall list defaults to top 100, but clever individuals may figure out how to change that to whatever number they prefer... Wink

The main display now defaults to just the top 10, with a link to the full results with weekly standings. Hey, the top folks deserve some special treatment! Actually, it was more a way to make things fast loading and more concise for adding in readily apparent links to the new sections.

Enjoy, and let me know if there's anything you think should be added or improved.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new goodies. It shows that I wasted a pick on Savante Stringfellow. I guess I should have paid more attention to the events list and then I would have seen that the long jump was not going to be contested much this year.

That already gets me to thinking about strategy for next year.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasted a pick on Miguel Pate in the LJ, too. It could have really been ugly, as I had both Pate and Stringfellow on my roster until the last minute...

I thought about making the men's LJ display die a bit more gracefully (hasn't been contested, thus nothing to list), but I sort of like the total breakdown for getting the point across how bleak that event has been made to be this year. Smile

The jumps in general have been like a big off-road 4x4 truck -- money pits...

I'm not sure when meets posted start lists for this season, but the last time I looked before the contest closed, they still only had last year's info up (which is what we picked the events based on).

Looking through the events, it appears 0.1 is about the point/cost ratio that separates the good picks from the not so good ones, with 0.15+ being excellent and 0.2 plus being an All-Star. Interesting to note that Nicole Teter is just a hair shy of the 0.1 threshold in the 800, yet she's only raced it once. Had the event been contested each week (and if she ran it instead of the 1500), her score easily could be 4x what it is, putting her into the unheard of 0.4 territory! Alas...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another new goody:

http://run-down.com/fantasy/index.php?go=pop

For each of the contests to date, you can view the most popular athlete selections now!

I may have to turn off the option prior to roster lockdown next year, otherwise the lazy folk will have too easy a time... Neutral

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff ... Must've been nervous with the second half of the season getting ready to unfold !!! Wink
TheGlyde
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Webb second hey... all you patriotic Americans Smile

good to see my man Buster in 10th... most of the down under contingent had him... cept me of course which isnt too bad since i predicted he wouldnt score to many and at the moment hes got a donut... hehe... he will score in Zurich tho...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nervous? Nah, no one's taking away my beloved #13 spot! (And no one's passing me, either, ahem.)

I figured there was talk heading into Worlds of how many of the leaders had Komen on their roster and what his failing to advance would mean, so why not throw in a tool making such analyses easier?

I've got 1-2-3-4-6 on my roster, so I'm in good company there. After that is a pretty big drop to 12-15-17-28-30-34-36-57-65... I'm guessing other rosters have a similar distribution, with a few very common ones up top and then scattershot after that.

Dan
TheGlyde
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a useful tool, to see which diamonds in the rough are scoring well that few others picked... Christine Arron... seriously... i cant believe only 7 others have her... she was one of the first i nabbed... (775pts)

Alfred Kirwa i admit i only picked because i saw he made the Kenyan worlds team and i thought he might run some meets in the leadup... only 3 others shared my theory... (405pts)

all up on my team i have 1,3,4,6,7,9,11,12 (who i figured were all no brainers... damn you El G Razz) then it drops down to a lot of picks that not many had Cool
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arron is one of the surprises that jumped out at me, too. I noticed Kirwa on your roster and way down the list of popular picks... One mistake I made was not paying enough attention to the national meets, which turned out to be a pretty good predictor of some of the value picks that have gone onto solid seasons.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the seasons not over yet but I am seeing the error of my picks already... ugh mired down in 25th - hopfully I can salvage enough to pull myself inti the top 20...

One big problem I have had is with guys not running the events I had picked them for.

Well to battle again this Friday huh!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One big problem I have had is with guys not running the events I had picked them for.

I had a couple of my 5k crew running the 1500 at Worlds, so I know what you mean. That's the toughest part of picking distance runners, although the same sometimes holds for sprinters.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but with sprinters you generally know what they favor ... And with the deuce not being run nearly as often as the 100, it makes it a much easier endeavor ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the sprints, the crossover guys tend to double instead of choosing one or the other (or they stick to the 100 in the notable meets).

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: