FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Western States 2006

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Western States 2006 Reply with quote

It's that time of year again. The WS 100 will be run this weekend. I will be kind of tied up most of the weekend so I won't be doing any updates like the last two years but I will do a post Sunday afternoon with results.

In the mean time I would not bet on anyone to beat Scott Jurek. I think he pretty much owns this race for the time being. The women's side though is more wide open. Last years winner Nikki Kimball is back and if she wins this year then it could signal another few years of one woman dominance. But watch out for Beverly Anderson-Abbs who is running very well this spring.

A good predictor should be everyone's performances in the American River 50 and the Miwok 100K. But I am going to have to look those up and refresh my memory. I'll be back soon.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a quick check....Anderson-Abbs took second at both AR and Miwok. The AR 50 was won by Kami Semick who is also entered at WS. The Miwok winner is not.

Jurek took second at Miwok to Dave Mackey who was second to Jurek at last years WS. So there could be another duel between these two. For dark horses don't be surprised to see Guillermo Medina or Jorge Pacheco do well. Both of these guys are top notch ultrarunners from southern California.

What about Dean Karnazes? He's always around the top 10 but I don't know if he is focused enough with all the publicity type stuff he has been doing lately. Tim Twietmeyer is a sentimental favorite of course but he may be a little too old to run with Jurek and Mackey.

The bottom line is don't bet against Jurek and the women's race is wide open.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Jurek is the first into Rucky Chuck at 78 miles. Looks like he will have it again.

At the 67 mile mark at Forest Hill Beverly Anderson-Abbs is just ahead of Anette Bednosky from NC.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100-miler becomes race of pride, joy
By Melody Gutierrez -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Monday, June 27, 2005
With less than two minutes to spare, Helga Backhaus found the strength to cross the finish line.

The 52-year-old German didn't win the 100-mile Western States Endurance Run, but she accomplished a rare feat.

She finished her 10th Western States under the 30 hour cut-off, despite hobbling injuries and exhaustion that left her planted face down in the grass, asleep, during the last half of the awards ceremony Sunday.

"This was my hardest, but my best race ever," Backhaus said while fighting back an overwhelming sense of pride and emotional fatigue that surfaced in the form of sobbing.

Backhaus has now finished nine of her 10 Western States in less than 24 hours. Sunday, she finished in 29 hours, 58 minutes and 9 seconds.

"It was just enough," she said.

Sunday's ceremony honored the 317 runners who finished the 100.2-mile course, which runs from Squaw Valley to Placer High School in Auburn. With a day-time high temperature of 78 degrees in Auburn on Saturday, officials said the cool race day contributed to a record-high 79 percent of the 400 runners finishing.

"It was a neat course," said Annette Bednosky, 38, of Jefferson, N.C., after recording the third-fastest women's time in Western States history at 18:39.01.

Bednosky had hoped for a time under 20 hours and was "stunned" when she learned she was first female finisher. She didn't expect such success.

In her first 100-miler, Beverley Anderson-Abbs, 41, of Red Bluff finished second in 19:16.25. Karine Herry, 37, of France was third in 19:58.46.

"It's not high on my priorities to do again," Anderson-Abbs said.

Seattle's Scott Jurek finished first among male runners at 16:43.04 for his seventh consecutive Western States victory.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It was a neat course," said Annette Bednosky, 38, of Jefferson, N.C., after recording the third-fastest women's time in Western States history at 18:39.01.

NEAT??? That just doesn't sound right.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get to the area where this is run you would say it was an acceptable statement ... It is beautiful ... The kid of area where you can be in pain but look over and still be in awe of nature ...

Only thing I can compare it to is a 50 mile relay that is run from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay along the coast ... Beautiful ocean scenery all throughout the race ...

Or the 50 mile relay run around Lake Tahoe ...

See sometimes we sprinters know a little sumpin about LONG distance !!! Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be "awesome," "breathtaking," or "exhiliarating," but not "neat..."

BTW, I'm impressed. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well neat is a word that a female might use ...

And believe it or not I have run in all the events above except the 100 miler !!! So I know that one can be in pain yet enjoy them !!!! LOL ...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent commentaries on the ultra scene guys. I've had a lot going on since Friday so I didn't get to report anything more extensive this year.

Jurek's win was certainly no surprise but Bednosky's was. She has emerged here on the east coast in the last couple of years but to win at WS in her first race is really impressive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: