Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
NCAA Div-I Championship finals

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know Kelli White had a fast dad. Neutral

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway, How fast are your daughters? Very Happy
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea ... Never timed em and never will unless they express and interest ... I don't think my two oldest want to do sports at all ... But my 3 year old is very quick and always wanting to play sports ... She has a natural stride somewhere in between Gohr and Koch (quick, good knees, and powerful drive off the ground0 ... I think she would be awesome in the sprints ... But I don't try to lead my kids there ... Ask me after this track season as the youngest is already asking when we are going to go see people run (which will be in the next few weeks) ... I don't take them when the weather is iffy like right now ... But as soon as the weather clears its a weekly thing ... Pack an ice chest and take lots of good stuff and snacks and the kids have a good time ...

Quick story ... My father ran track in high school and I didn't know it until I had been running track for 3 years !!!! He never wanted me to do anything simply because he did, so I always found out after the fact that he had done something that I was doing ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool. Sounds like your dad had a good head on his shoulders. I just watched "Friday Night Lights" last night, and it was the complete opposite ... to the point of being one of the more depressing (and depressingly predictable) movies I've seen.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was never pressured to do anything ... But, once I decided to do something I had to give it everything I had !!! But I did so becasue it was what I wanted to do not becasue someone told me I had to ...

Another quick story ... My dad was a 9.9/22.2 sprinter in high school ... But it was my mother's cousin, who won a double section (state qualifier) championship (9.8/21.8 ) in the late 50's ... I won a double section champinship as a senior (9.5/21.3) but did not know that my cousin had won one until AFTER I won mine ... Why ??? Cause my dad didn't want me to think that he wanted me to win because my cousin had beat him !!! My mom and dad and my grandparents and my cousin were all at the meet when I did it ... And in another ironic twist one of my cousin's nephews was in both races when I did it ... I guess we had decent genes !!! Anyway after the meet my cousin congratulated me and told me heh knew how hard it was cause he had gone through the same thing ... And that is when I found out what had happened way back when ... Course my dad reminded him that I did better cause I took my 4x1 to a first place finish and my 4x4 to a 4th place finish (just one spot from state) ...

And that's about the most you'll here about my history ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be a sweet story for around the campfire when you start hosting T&F "camp" clinics...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly refreshing to hear about those kind of parents after seeing some of the "little league parent" antics that I have seen over the years of coaching baseball, basketball and soccer. Soccer wasn't too bad in the early years when the parents didn't know anything about the game. Then the more they learned the more confident they were about criticizing the coaches and refs and it all went downhill from there.

I never pushed my daughter into running but I supported her when she decided to give it a try. Now it is one of the great joys of my life that she and I share a similar passion for the activity. I hope all you guys get to experience that feeling even if the shared passion is for something other than running.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky ... The focus in my home was academics ... Athletics was always second .. And it really made sports more fun ... When I got tired of football - I quit ... And it wasn't a big deal ... I was able to focus on track and have a good time ... My dad critiqued me - don't get me wrong ... If I was going to do something I was going to do it right ... But it wasn't my life ... It wasn't an obsession ... Although it became one of the most important things in my life because I enjoyed it so much ... But that's the way it should be ...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stories, Conway!!

Dan, I saw Friday Night Lights, myself, just 2 weeks ago. It didn't do much for me, either.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It didn't do much for me, either.

That's more positive than anything I could say about it. :t-:

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and was not impressed either ... But surprisingly the general public ate it up !!!! I guess that says a lot about our society in general ...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its a Billy Bob Thornton thing. But I didn't think the role was much to speak of.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of flat, unappealing characters, iffy casting (couldn't buy Billy Bob as an inspirational coach; I kept hearing his babbling character from Bandits), very predictable dramatic elements (knowing next to nothing about the story, I predicted nearly every play and injury before it happened), and perhaps worst of all, and ending that tells us the team went undefeated the next year and won it all... Well, tell that damn story!!! The 5 seniors that were the focus of the movie obviously weren't all that important if the next year's squad was better, and the story couldn't have been any more depressing.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: