Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
A heal striking 800m thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 1999 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dan Kaplan,

I am impressed with your website. I also appreciate your candor about your times and your personal story. If you are interested in running efficiently midfoot then check out a video in Road Runner Sports. It is called "The Pose Method of Running" by Dr, Nicholas Romanov (www.romanovacademy.com)and it teaches an efficient midfoot strike without overstriding. I can relate to doing endless form drills to improve speed. But remember that a distance stride is very different from a sprinting stride. I often wonder if the two are compatible.

Also remember something about aerobic training. Even in the 800m, the goal is to derive the maximum percentage of energy from the aerobic system. Sure max speed is a crucial factor in 800m running but if the contribution from aerobic means drops then your net time could still slow down.

The goal then should be not just max speed, but max speed in the midst of high aerobic fitness..then my friend you will have gold...and perhaps your sub 2:00 800m.

Keep up the great work!
and may you stay injury free, Smile

T

[Anonymously Posted by: 'tyrone goldstein']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 1999 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrone,

Thank you very much for your most thoughtful message. I appreciate it, truly. I'll have to keep an eye out for that video, sounds interesting.

I must say, I agree entirely with all of your points. Sprinting stride definitely sacrifices efficiency over the long haul. However, keep in mind that I don't consider myself a distance runner. I have put in my time trying to be just that, but my body does not respond well to grinding out the miles.

The reason I decided to emphasize the speed training last year is that I felt I had gotten just about as far as I could through emphasizing the aerobic aspect (I did plenty of date and goal pace intervals prior), and I had the *almost* ideal training situation that I didn't know if I would have again later. My intent wasn't so much to become a sprinter as it was to develop the speed so that my goal 800m pace didn't feel like a sprint. To make that work, I had to drop the quantity and just focus on the quality (even so, I might have had too much of the quality Smile ), until I felt ready to incorporate the aerobic back in. That was six months before the early season racing even began, so I feel pretty confident there would have been sufficient time.

I am happy to report, that I'm back outside (not right this minute) running! Smile Only problem is, I can feel the nagging distance-type "injuries" coming back. With speed work, it's much more all or nothing. Things are going great or they snap...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 1999 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

If you drop the quantity to focus on the quality, always hold onto long and tempo runs. Keep a minimum distance & pace for your long runs and a minimum distance & pace for your threshold runs. You could even combine the two into one workout. Even if the frequency is once per 7-10 days. This will at least delay the deterioration of aerobic work. Maybe you already did this?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 1999 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sort of avoided this for a reason. It is my understanding that their is a phyisiological response to aerobic work that limits the ability to develop speed/fast twitch fully. Besides, when I starting working on the speed development, I was already out of shape from an endurance standpoint, so I didn't have much to deteriorate. Wink

If it weren't from the fact that I was intentionally turning my training upside down and treating it as an experiment, I would agree with you entirely.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: