Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Improving 1500m

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In three weeks, its my school sports day and I really want to win the 1500m, and was wondering how exactly to train for it since I dont have much time left.
Up until last year I was very unfit and was not able to run the 1500m without stopping for a rest, so I started running to get fit. For the last 8 months or so I have been running 5 miles pretty much every day, and now I can do it in about 32 mins. I can still only do the 1500m in about 5:05 though, so I was going to change my training to a 2.5km run each day, but at a faster pace (under 10 mins) once or twice a day.

I dont know if this is the best way to train though, and would welcome any advice on better methods. Will it be possible to get the 1500m time to under 4:50?
Also, if anyone knows good ways to train for the bleep test, then I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks for your help
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bleep test?

If you can run 5 miles in 32 minutes on a near-daily basis, then you should be able to run the 1500 well under 5:05. Probably 4:25 or better, based on conditioning. It sounds like you haven't worked on race pace development, which would be done mostly in the form of intervals. You can have all the endurance in the world, but without the ability to run at race pace, you'll never improve very much.

I would recommend aiming for about 4:30, so you would want to run some 400's and 800's at about 72 seconds per lap. Don't do too much of this, though, as it could be a shock to the system this late in the preparation.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in England, so maybe you dont have the bleep test in america, but it is basically an endurance test where u have to run 20m before a bleep several times then you go up a level, and the bleeps get closer together, and if you miss a bleep you're out. I think its a standard test which they use in schools here

anyway, what would be a realistic target to aim for since i only have 3 weeks? 4:50?
also, what training should i do each day? would it be best to run faster rather than further?
I run 5 miles in 32 - 33 mins practiacally every day, but when I run at a faster pace than this, i find i run out of steam too quick
would a good training programme be:
2.5km fairly fast run twice a day
400 or 800 once, fast as possible

Do you think i have the potential to run a 4:30 1500m, but just have to get used to running at a faster pace?

thanks for all you help
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it a bleep is like a whistle? Here, "bleep" is usually a censored expletive. I suppose that is also fitting for a challenging physical test. Wink

Based on your endurance, I really don't think you should sell yourself short. You definitely ought to be capable of 4:50, but I think 4:30 is very realistic.

With three weeks left, you won't lose much conditioning, if any, by shortening the workouts and alternating hard/easy days. Whatever pace you think can or should run for 1500m, it is absolutely imperative that you run part of at least 2 workouts a week over the next three weeks at that pace. That is how you condition your body to handle race pace. A typical workout to get you to where you are capable of being is 12x400 at 72 seconds, but you'd probably be better doing 8x400 considering you haven't done much interval training thus far.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Canada and we have something called the beep test.. it sounds identical to your bleep test. Beep, bleep, same thing Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: