Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Demolition Derby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sets of 61 and 55 today....

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't checked in for awhile. Everything looks great! Coming up on 2 years at the house!! Thumbs Up

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 year and 49 weeks, give or take...

I'm down to just finish work now on the bathroom, but the final 10% is always 90% of the project... I've decided I much prefer rough work over finish work. Neutral Heck, what should have been by far the smallest of the projects has turned into one of the most time consuming. The screws that came with the wall vent are the absolute cheapest pieces of $#@! I've ever seen. One of them literally started bubbling apart (looks to be hollow, with halves spiral joined together) as soon as it hit wood (pre-drilled) and broke off in the wall, making it impossible to remove and too shallow to put in another screw or any sort of anchor. I've been fussing with it for a couple days now and haven't come up with a good solution yet.

I got the super duper, industrial strength Kohler pressure assist toilet in place. Sweeeet! You can feel the turbo action pull on the handle as soon as you start to push it down, followed by a low flow torrent of water and an oh so satisfying whooosh. Smile Not every day you get a $600, barely used toilet for free...

Pretty much all I've got left is a splash guard around the sink cabinet (just caulked it this morning), a bit more of seam caulking in the tub, filling in around the sink cabinet's base with mortar or grout (because I installed it after doing the tiling), adding a vertical trim piece to the side of the wall cabinet where I moved the wall back ~2", adding one more towel rod (home made beauties), and possibly adding some sort of "baseboard" trim/molding. Oh, and decide if I want to stick with a shower curtain, try modifying my old slider door (not quite the right size) to fit, or pay $240 for a new slider that is custom fit from Fiber-Fab...

My knees are trashed this week from all the floor-level work. Sad

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shower curtain isn't good enough for your new bathroom. I'll spring for the custom-fab slider as a 2 year anniv gift. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, I'm not sure I can handle that degree of generosity...

More pics are up:

http://run-down.com/house/

The to-do list is getting shorter...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porch looks empty without the 2 commodes there. Reminds me of "Second Hand Lions", sitting around the porch, blasting away at traveling salesmen. Surprised

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, having a bathroom on your porch really makes quick work of door to door salesman.

Just for the record, I recommend against anyone in the area hiring Guaranteed Plumbing. I had three small leaks at points I hooked up to their [$900] work and wasn't sure if it was my connection or theirs, so I scheduled the guy to come out and take a look (he didn't show the first time). Just finished up, having determined it wasn't their stuff so there'd be a $40-70 service fee no one had mentioned to me... Talk about guaranteeing your work. Rolling Eyes He never even took stuff apart to confirm it wasn't their side of the connections; just said it was extremely unlikely and left it at that.

And that's after getting the Orkin guy out here yesterday (with scheduling incompetence on their part, too) to bomb another yellow jacket nest. Showed him where it is and went inside, then I see him hop in his truck and take off without saying a word. Haven't heard back...

Between the two of them, I've spent about $1300 and this is the kind of service to expect?! If I don't hear back from Orkin soon with some sort of explanation, I'll probably be cancelling my contract. If only I could do the same with the plumbing... "Guaranteed" my a$$.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that's after putting in a high efficiency gas furnace last year and having them basically say I'm an idiot for claiming it didn't work right, when in fact it could only be something wrong at my end. I finally convinced them to look into it and they were wrong... I never did get an apology, or a full efficiency furnace... Then there was Fiber-Fab selling me a "fully plumbed" kit that turned out to not be fully plumbed and had no instructions how to finish it up, and it wasn't until I raised a major stink that they came out and put the rest together (only to discover it wasn't working right).

See a trend? Neutral I don't know why I bother paying professionals to do anything. Doesn't seem anyone stands behind their work anymore. Pretty sad.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a big ol' Monster House "DONE" stamp. Thumbs Up

http://run-down.com/house/

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Thumbs Up

I like the tile.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tile is definitely the bread winner of this little project.

The bathroom now has its own direct link, as it was starting to bog down the general house page:

http://run-down.com/house/bathroom.php

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look great. Do you have to use ear plugs for the new toilet?? Wink

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask that... I was a bit concerned about the loudness factor, having sampled the pressurized Kohler's in the schools I've been working at. However, those are a different style (pressurized water line instead of a pressurized tank) and in an all-tile echo chamber of a room, so I was keeping my fingers crossed the harsh noise wouldn't carry over to this application. Fortunately, it's quite pleasant. Does its thing and quiets down quickly...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rapidly learning how warranties work and what a guarantee truly means... I had 4 chips/scuff/flakes in the fiberglass of my new tub, 3 of which I know where there when it arrived and one I wasn't sure about. I had called it in early to get looked at as a warranty item, but it took close to a month before they finally got the guy (a contract worker) out here. He takes a look at it and determines it isn't warranty work. Huh? Confused I explained my side of the story and he called the factory boss to see what to do. Gets off the phone and says they'll cover it, then says something about not knowing I used to work at Marquis spas. Huh? Confused Turns out the Fiber-Fab boss thought I was someone else that had connections at Marquis and he thought he'd get a good deal by cutting me a break on the warranty work. He figured out his mistake a few minutes later and called back to try and wiggle out of it, but the tech told him I already knew... They ended up not charging, probably because they realized how silly it would make them look.

So, the lesson to be learned is that a warranty is good for nothing unless you're willing to put more money on (or under) the table in order to get it honored. Doesn't seem to matter how good of a reputation the company has. Neutral

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: