Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Demolition Derby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiber-Fab stepped up to the plate, I'm happy to say. They agreed that they can and should do better with assembly instructions and what not, having sort of lost sight that I'm doing the installation myself, whereas many that they sell to are builders who've been through this a thousand times.

They sent one of their guys out to weld everything together, but he got out here and realized it wasn't possible at the time due to their being no space to work in. I had to get the assembled unit off the support towers (I had to build it up at ceiling level so I could climb underneath to caulk and bolt it together from the rear) and lowered down into place, then open up the access panel bigger so that he could come back out (later today) and finish up the piping.

I got two big guys to help move it last night, and it nearly killed the three of us. As soon as we removed the support towers, everything started collapsing, falling back toward the exterior wall, and getting wedged in against the side walls. Neutral Didn't help that we had to work around the protruding toilet supply line right at the level of the bottom of the tub...

Eventually, I had to open up the access panel big enough to climb through so that I could work from behind the shower wall at getting everything unwedged. We were finally able to get it straightened back up and onto a furniture dolly and roll it into place, clearing the toilet supply line by literally a fraction of an inch. I know because I got my finger wedged between the bottom of the tub and the brass fitting while checking for clearance and guiding things...

I've got the drain kit about half put together. The Fiber-Fab guy will be here in about 2 hours, so if I can get the rest of the drain stuff done down in the crawl space before then, I should be able to fire it up and test it out!

I might start on drywall this weekend, but I'll probably be working up in Portland Monday and possibly Tuesday, so I won't get far with it. It would be nice to get that done soon so I can paint and start moving stuff back in. Right now, I've got my sink/cabinet in the living room and two toilets on the front porch...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just keeps getting better. Rolling Eyes The Fiber-Fab guy came out and did all the copper hookups (difficult to get to even with my hidey hole access panel enlargement), then we did a water test, and ... the frickin' valve assembly is defective. It started leaking internally, water pressure dropped to zero, and water was flowing out of all the wrong places...

So, now I have to wait until probably middle of next week for the Symmons guys to come out and fix or replace the entire assembly.

The Fiber-Fab guy said he's never seen one of the Symmons valves do that, and that's the brand they use exclusively on all their tubs. With the way this project has been going, that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Anyone want to buy a 3 bedroom, 1/2 bath house? Neutral

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down there today and saw first hand what Dan is going through. When he finishes, it is going to be a first rate bathroom remodel. He already has the tile at the house to install. The flooring and walls are solid. It is just going to take a bit of time for everything to come together. I was amazed by all the chicken wire and cement he pulled out of that room. Talk about your heavy duty construction from that era (mid 50's). Surprised

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid is indeed the right word. Always nice to know my impression of how large this project is is shared by others...

I realized tonight I made a rather unfortunate mistake, or omission, more appropriately. I didn't check the level of the sub-floor where the tub sits before putting it into place. It's perfect length-wise, but slopes slightly width-wise (out into the room). Only 1/4", but enough that water pools a tiny bit to the right of the drain. I tried lifting the tub and inserting some 1/4" strips to level it, but that's pretty darn tough to do with the non-flat bottom and mostly empty space along the edge that needs leveling. I got it to maybe 1/8", then while trying to make it perfect screwed up and it went back to where I started... I'm not sure if I can recover the first step, so I may be stuck with it slightly off level.

Just one step left to connect up the drain. I cut out the old p-trap and cast iron drain pipe (love that sawzall!), and amidst extended bouts of sniffing PVC glue, bonded in the new pieces -- everything except the new horizontal piece which is cut to size but not attached yet as I need a different size compression sleeve than the ones I got for connecting to the cast iron. That'll be easy to finish up tomorrow.

I've spent so much time in the crawl space, I'm actually starting to remember where the comfortable spots to sit are between the piles of rock and cement and protruding nails... I'm sure I've set some sort of record by now for most hits by a bald head against floor joists per day...

I worked on the bathroom from midnight last night until 7am, then went over to the XC meet and did timing and results until 1pm, then back here for more work. You'd think I'd be a mit more tired than I am.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, on the other hand, came home from the XC meet and crashed, got up and had some Bento, went back to bed, and am now just getting up. Micah, would you believe I've gone the entire weekend without a Samuel Smith so far?? Surprised

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul was looking quite fit and active at the meet, I must say. I, on the other hand, hid out in the track shed and tried not to fall asleep or make any stupid mistakes. I did the sensible thing and put down the tools at 12:30 last night...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Samuel Smith? Surprised

Dan, Did you get any help out of Paul or did he just stand around and oooh and aaah? Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly the latter, but in his defense, he did admit to not being much of a handyman. Didn't make much sense to ask him for help at that point. Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I managed to help out a tiny bit. But my skills lie (is that proper English??) in the demolition sector. For instance, if Dan loses all contact with reality and wants to put an OSU or WU mosaic on his patio in back, I will be more than willing to come down and help him break up the concrete. Twisted Evil Thumbs Up Surprised

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my skills lie in the demolition sector.

Oh sure, now you tell me... My hands are still sore from busting concrete off the walls. I had to do hand exercises just to loosen the digits up enough to enter 1,000 results at the Invite yesterday...

OSU or WU mosaics, hmm...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I hope you got a REALLY good dedal when you bought the house !!!! Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sure, rub it in...

Midnight ... calling it quits early tonight. First two sheets of greenboard are up; about 1/3 the total wall coverage. Shower drain is all hooked up and tested out to be water tight (I did something right!!!), and the valve assembly is scheduled for service tomorrow morning. I would hope to have all the sheetrock up by Wednesday -- possibly tomorrow, but what's the rush Confused -- and mudded and taped by the end of the week. Then on to painting and tiling...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading through this log here blows me away - amazing stuff you are doing there...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what'll be really amazing? Being able to take a shower without going across the street!

It's looking like I may be able to do all the drywall myself -- probably the one thing I was most nervous about tackling solo. I do have the more intricate cuts coming up, though.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I am sure but its a whole lot of stuuff already that I have never done at all and from the pictures I did see - very cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: