Training Talk
Training for the 5k

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By references, I assume you mean general running info, or do you mean specific articles and what not? Most of what I believe relative to running has come out of learning from my own experiences. That plus a healthy dose of watching others, talking with teammates, and learning from the experts whenever possible.

I ran track for two years in elementary school, but soccer was my main sport until high school. From 9th grade through college (started cross country in 10th grade), much of my life has centered around running.

I've been coaching the sprinters for the past 2-3 years at Willamette University. Some people referred to me as the coach while I was at OSU...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan
thanks for replying to my message, Iam considering being a cross country coach , I think it's a great sport, and I want to promote it as much as I can. I know their is a lot of talent out their for even better runners. I have taken 18 college credits in
coaching classes, and I'm planning on working with my ex high school coach,He told me brush up on my running books, along with athletic seminars and conferences, or workshops anytime they are available. any recommendations for a future coach? Anything to watch out for, and steer clear of?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice! Smile

There is a value to learning from others, but, in my mind, only to the extent that you analyze what they have to say and incorporate it into your own way of thinking. There are too many people that regurgitate what they are told and get mediocre results.

The area where I've had the most success in general is relating to the athletes and earning their individual trust. Whatever their talent level, they'll work hard to improve once you develop the trust.

Above all, try to have fun with it, because that's why the athletes are out there!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: