Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
scoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: scoring Reply with quote

How does scoring work?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's based on Purdy equivalents, plus points for place.

http://run-down.com/fantasy/faq.php#scoring
http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566

Dan
TheGlyde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: DE LIMA Vicente Reply with quote

Gday Dan,

Really enjoying the comp, just wondering why i have no points for Vicente De Lima who finished 3rd in the 100m at Meet 2...

Cheers,
J
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be because I couldn't find a matching name, but maybe I overlooked it... It can be difficult matching some of the varied spellings. Neutral

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's fixed now. Darn extra "Lenilson" in his name...

Thanks for pointing it out.

Dan
TheGlyde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: No Worries... Reply with quote

And Thanks... moved me from 10th to 7th Cool

J
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love that. Thumbs Up

Dan
TheGlyde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Dan,

Sorry to pester you again but it looks like these middle name guys are tricking you, Antonio Manuel Reina was 6th in the mens 800m, but has no points, hes listed in the lists as Manuel Reina Antonio.

Cheers,
J
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sad

I wish the IAAF would handle names like the Screen Actor's Guild does. Register what name you'll be going by and stick with it... Of course, a big problem here is the automated processing of the IAAF lists doesn't catch a lot of the multi-name combos. Two middle names, three last names, two middle names and two last names, two first names and three middle names...

The part that sucks is my scoring setup requires me to delete all the meets' results and rescore each one in order when there's a correction needed. I need to reprogram it one of these days (maybe right now!) to allow a single meet to be corrected.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I re-jiggered the program code to allow me to delete just a single meet's scores (finally) and re-scored it with Reina added back in.

Any other ommissions, just let me know...

Dan
cam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Olympic 5000m results Reply with quote

Dan,

Awesome comp, pity I am doing far worse this year then last though.

Question was to do with 5000m results from the Olympics. I have Craig Mottram in my team and he came 8th in Olympic 5000m, yet he seems to have no score. Did you only score the 10,000 at the olympics? Or what is the deal there?

Thanks,

Cam
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a funky one, as it was the first time the combo events were contested in the same meet. The solution we came up with was to combine them into 5k equivalency and take the best 8 performances of the lot, with the exception that no athlete can score twice (i.e. Bekele).

I think the top 6 times ended up coming out of 10k's converted to 5k via the Purdy tables.

The basic reason for the approach is that athlete pricing is based on the IAAF rankings, and those are in turn based on combined 5k/10k performances, so there's no real way to separate out the events when they're held in conjunction. But more often than not, only one or the other is held, so it would be a heavy penalty to treat them as separate Fantasy events.

Dan
cjbap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Confused! Reply with quote

So with the 5K/10K situation.....does that mean we should pick people that may double in events? Based on IAAF rankings, if I were to pay big bucks for El Guerrouj (1500m), and he runs only the 5K, I am still going to score points right? The answer is probably no, just as we are to still pick say Gatlin for the 100m and pay again for the 200m. So where I become even more confused is why again does Mottram not score in the 5K at 8th place. Paying for athletes based on a ranking that is combined or not, our list of events to choose from includes the 5K not the 10K. Same if Bekele choose to run only the 10K at the olympics, someone may have him on their team, but if he doesn't run the 5K, then there shouldn't be any points awarded.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not quite.

The 100/200 are separate Fantasy events, with purchase prices derived from separate IAAF athlete rankings. Ditto for 1500/5k. The challenge is with the 5k/10k, where:

a) they share a common ranking

b) are usually an either/or in all but championship meets

In the case of the 100/200, for example, they're two completely separate entities that are likely to both be held in the same meet. If you want to pick Gatlin in both, more power to you if he doubles -- you get points for both but you risk more if he doesn't double.

The 1500/5k is rare enough it's almost not worth discussing, but it gets the same explanation...

With the 5k/10k, there's no way to separate out the ranking/purchase price for athletes in the two respective events, so right there it has to be a single Fantasy event. If we just used one or the other, then which ever distance event isn't being held that meet gets punished, so that's no good. Furthermore, if we considered it to be not one but two Fantasy events, any time someone like Bekele doubles, you're getting double the value of your purchase that anyone in any of the other events can claim. That might be the worst solution of all.

So, unless you can see anything I've missed in there, the only reasonable solution is to combine them into a single event, which in turn means taking the best 8 relative performances.

Hope that clarifies.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: